Author Topic: Avast service stopped  (Read 5755 times)

herpaderphurr

Avast service stopped
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:14:57 AM »
Hi there,

I recently downloaded Avast 5 Home Edition. It installed fine and worked well.

However, last time I started up my system, this message came up:

When I went to Task Manager and checked services, all the Avast services had stopped.

Clicking Fix Now, Start Program, trying to start the service through Task Manager, all didn't work. I tried reinstalling (using aswclear) and it fixed itself for a little while, but then the problem re-emerged.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I'd really appreciate any help!

Forest61

Re: Avast service stopped
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:34:12 AM »
 I, myself, had this same issue, and following the advice about using the uninstall utilities, both 5.0 and 4.8, solved it for me. It has been OK for at least 3 days now. Did you use both versions of the uninstall tool? That might help. I am using the Pro version, however.
Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:48:14 AM by Forest61 »

herpaderphurr

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
Both... versions?

I used the uninstall utility for version 5.0, since that's what I've got installed...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:40:05 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

herpaderphurr

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:32:48 AM »
I had McAfee, I uninstalled it via the normal means - Add/Remove programs.

riskpusher4life

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:38:09 AM »
The same discussion was carried out in the topic "AVAST GETS UNSECURED TOO OFTEN" well, we had a somewhat enthusiastic discussion on accompaniments to avast for security. The primary argument was about using Spybot S and D against MalwareBytes AntiMalware. I believe using Eusing Free Registry Cleaner...http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm   you should clean your registry. This is after uninstalling your entire avast suite, and whatever other antivirus you might have. Please do not connect to the internet when there are no security software running. You might plug out your Lan cable or something....

Clean the registry and re-install avast....
Then as another member put it.... Just Pray!

Summarizing: Uninstall avast 5 and 4.8 even if they are not present using the Uninstall Utility.
Restart
Clean your registry
Re-Install Avast
Re-start.
Hope it just works.
It did for me...so far so good.

Forest61

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
Mine is also still working--and quite well, I have to say. I followed the advice in that thread that Big Jayy refers to. Even though I only had 5.0 installed, a long time back I had 4.8, so I ran both uninstallers. I figured it couldn't hurt--and it worked! Good luck!  :)

olddog

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
I had McAfee, I uninstalled it via the normal means - Add/Remove programs.

It is very unlikely that all of McAfee was removed, see. http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507