Author Topic: avast free powering down a laptop?  (Read 3764 times)

kronhead

avast free powering down a laptop?
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:12 PM »
Anyone ever heard of a laptop running Avast Free just shutting down - suddenly powering off? This is an *OLD* Dell latitude running Win/XP - way under-spec for just about everything - ram is only 256meg, and that's all it will hold - so I don't expect much of it - but powering off suddenly seemed weird.

It started right after I installed Avast (new, clean install of the latest version), and stopped happening when I uninstalled it. Just wondered if anyone had seen this, and might know a workaround. I am running without any AV at the moment - I just use this laptop to play music through my stereo, using Videolan - so I am not overly concerned ...

I had been using Avira, but it started having some problem accessing the update server. And I run Avast with no problems on a much better laptop with Vista Home Premium.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Dan

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: avast free powering down a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:01 PM »
Dan,

That certainly is a weird one!!  I have avast! 5 Free running on a Dell Inspiron laptop (512 meg) with no problem at all.  Can't really think of a reason why your laptop would power down simply because avast! is installed.

You did mention that you had been using Avira.  Perhaps it might be a good idea to get the Avira uninstaller from their site and run it.  This will at least make sure that there are no remnants of Avira left that could be causing a problem.  Other than that I'm at a loss . . . .

Good luck . . .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

kronhead

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 01:46:36 AM »
Thanks for the suggest, Gandalf1369 - I was going to give this a try - when it crashed again, without any AV installed. So obviously it was not Avast causing the problem. I suspect its just getting too old - maybe getting hot - and maybe the extra processing load of the AV added to the problem ... back to the drawing board!

Dan

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:06:57 AM »
Heat is most certainly a possible issue, so I would suggest trying to clean out the airways of any dirt, fluff, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:15:32 PM »
Yes could be a heat issue Bios shutting computer down etc or XP Power management settings wrong? maybe set to shut computer down after so many mins etc? Mine set to always on and everything set to NEVER when plugged to the Mains.