Author Topic: Firewall and VMware  (Read 21338 times)

Ebrandt1

Firewall and VMware
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »
I got vmware workstation running on top windows 7 64 bits, bridged vmware to the ethernet card, somehow the firewall does not allow the systems on VMWARE workstation to access the internet.  Any idea how to configure the firewall so that it allows the systems running in VMWARE to access the internet.

CharleyO

Re: Firewall and VMware
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:03:57 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Ebrandt1   :)

Since I am not using W7, I can be of little help.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help you soon.

Ebrandt1

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:16 PM »
I found out that it is the Avast firewall that is blocking Intertraffic, when close the Firewall down, Internet form VNWARE guest (Windows 2008 Server) works correct, which settings in the firewall is blocking

whalehk

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 05:40:12 PM »
I have the same problem.

Look like AVAST block the "DNS" protocol/port...
you can reach outside world by IP only.. but not by FQDN..  ???

Abdul69

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »
Anyone worked this out yet? I also hit this problem today. I am trialing VMWare workstation 7, and bridged networks on the guest cannot renew the IP address (or work in general) unless I completely disable Avast firewall on my Win 7 64-bit host. I've tried enumerating the VMware processes and adding them to the Avast firewall exceptions, but it doesn't help. I guess for now I'll have to turn off the Avast firewall, which is not what I want to do, since I only just paid for it...  :-\

Jtaylor83

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »
I recommend VirtualBox.

Abdul69

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:49:34 AM »
I recommend VirtualBox.

I'm going to take a look at it; thanks.

In the meantime I can confirm this is not an Avast firewall issue (at least for me) at all. I have disabled Avast firewall completely on both my host machines and still can't get the guests to connect with a bridged (own IP on the guest) network.

I've posted with VMware to see what they say; If they don't have any clues it might be my second VMWare trial in 3 years that crashes and burns.  ;D

Abdul69

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:50:31 AM »
Actually I'm going to take back my statement about this having nothing to do with Avast. I have one machine that won't work, irrespective of whether Avast is disabled or not, but on my other machine, the problem manifests with both VMWare and VirtualBox (sorry - same problem) and it is always resolved by turning off the Avast firewall, or alternatively by creating a packet rule to Allow all TCP/UDP port access In/Out. So now I know it's Avast blocking the traffic, but I have a gaping hole in my firewall since I don't know which ports specifically to open (the firewall log might be more useful if it logged this type of thing). If anyone has any ideas on that, I'm all ears; I'm not a networking expert by any means.

Abdul69

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »
I'm also going to take back what I said about the firewall logging...  it seems to work on one machine, but not the other. On my Windows 7 64-bit machine it's basically dormant, yet the firewall is blocking something. Just don't know what.

Either way, I've found a solution for my Vista 32-bit host machine (and Windows 7 guest) as follows:

On the HOST machine:
Add a packet exception for UDP 53 (out). It seems to be omitted from the default packet exceptions in the Avast firewall (defaults to just TCP). There's probably a reason for it; I'm just reporting my findings.
Also add a packet exception for TCP/UDP 80 (out).

These two packet exceptions/rules allow both VMware bridged networking and VirtualBox to work. Unfortunately on my Windows 7 (64-bit) host with an XP guest it's not working; it seems that I still have to completely disable the firewall on that machine to get it to work.

I've wasted too much time on this I think and I was already suspicious about installing Avast's firewall to begin with; I really only wanted the A/V protection, but for some reason it was a lot cheaper to buy AIS... I think my solution for my other machine will be to re-install without the firewall. Unfortunately it cannot simply be turned off without the software whining about it being disabled. Unfortunate.

RnP-PS

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
Yup, I'm having issues with the firewall and VMWare Server 2.0.2 client's when the host machine's firewall is turned on. Turning off the firewall fixes this instantly.

The strange thing is that I can RDP into the client machines, but they can't get onto the internet with the firewall turned on.  I'm thinking that it's something to do with it blocking DNS which is what has previously been mentioned and I'm seeing lots of blocked requests from our DHCP/DNS server in the office to the VMs.  NAT works but I also have issues with that, especially not being able to see network resources on the local network.

It's definitely an issue with the firewall component.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
I think Lukor's explaination may help here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57829.msg493653#msg493653

-Scott-

Final Frontier

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
Have you tried the Internet Connection Sharing mode of the avast firewall ? Worked for me with virtual pc.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57093.0

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Have you tried the Internet Connection Sharing mode of the avast firewall ? Worked for me with virtual pc.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57093.0

I was having the same issue with Avast.

Thanks. You saved my day!