Author Topic: AVAST ERRORS ALWAYS  (Read 11393 times)

david38400

AVAST ERRORS ALWAYS
« on: March 18, 2010, 04:52:14 AM »
I am wondering if Avast is any good on Linux Mint 8. I download a week ago and firstly I see that it doesn't run permanently, it only runs when you ask it to do a check. I tried running a thorough scan of the entire system and on all occasion an error comes up so it doesn't do anything. If I run a quick scan its ok. Maybe I am not using it correctly. I have updated the database so this isnt the problem. If this error keeps ocurring and it only works when I ask it to then it seems pretty useless to me.

Hermite15

Re: AVAST ERRORS ALWAYS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 05:02:24 AM »
Avast isn't resident on Linux, has never been, will never be ;)

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »
What was the error message?

BTW, avast! works fine in my Ubuntu Karmic Koala system.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »
Will never be ;)
Why not? They could develop that... there are programs that run "as residents" in Linux.
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
I am wondering if Avast is any good on Linux Mint 8. I download a week ago and firstly I see that it doesn't run permanently, it only runs when you ask it to do a check. I tried running a thorough scan of the entire system and on all occasion an error comes up so it doesn't do anything. If I run a quick scan its ok. Maybe I am not using it correctly. I have updated the database so this isnt the problem. If this error keeps ocurring and it only works when I ask it to then it seems pretty useless to me.

In two and a half years of using Linux, I've never come across a Linux virus, let alone come across one, decided to run it, decided to type in my password and been infected.

You don't need resident anti-virus protection in Linux, unless you're running a web server, in which case there are ways of doing it.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
Endless discussion.
I'm only saying it's technological possible. And then, why not?
You can prevent infection of Windows partitions and it's not impossible to exploit Linux also.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »

In two and a half years of using Linux, I've never come across a Linux virus, let alone come across one, decided to run it, decided to type in my password and been infected.

You don't need resident anti-virus protection in Linux, unless you're running a web server, in which case there are ways of doing it.

exactly, compared to the hundreds and hundreds of thousand viruses lurking around Windows, I read about "40" existed that could affect Linux, if you're unlucky enough to meet them ;D Now there's the argument of a shared NTFS partition, and/or shared USB keys that could get infected with malware while browsing in Linux and then infect Windows when you boot into it. I never really cared; I don't dual-boot with Linux currently but will again one of these days, and chances are poor that I'll ever install an anti-virus on it. First I don't share NTFS partitions (+ access denied from Linux into those partitions), I don't use NTFS at all in Linux and I'm being careful with the USB keys, definitely needed at least to transfer files between the two OS (faster than cloud so far ;D). This said I do mind that there aren't better firewalls for Linux, but that's another topic.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »
Endless discussion.
I'm only saying it's technological possible. And then, why not?
You can prevent infection of Windows partitions and it's not impossible to exploit Linux also.

I don't remember why...because I didn't care that much to be honest, but I'm pretty sure I read that the Linux architecture prevented somehow the implementation of any resident AV. It's not a flaw, it's a security feature ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
I kinda doubt that, because the server version of avast! does have an on-access scanner. ;)

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 08:07:54 PM »
I was talking about Linux desktop versions here... ;) ...so what stops you if it works on the servers to do the same for desktop ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
There are resident programs in Linux. The architecture of the OS allows services running as resident.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »
There are resident programs in Linux. The architecture of the OS allows services running as resident.

this you don't need to tell me, I know, I just thought there were restrictions preventing resident AV to access some areas in the /root partition. Anyway I might be wrong as I just found that ClamAV (Linux version) was resident...to what extend I don't now.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »

this you don't need to tell me, I know, I just thought there were restrictions preventing resident AV to access some areas in the /root partition. Anyway I might be wrong as I just found that ClamAV (Linux version) was resident...to what extend I don't now.

Since the OS support multiple tasks, the term "resident" has lost its meaning. Some people mix it with "on access" - but that's about when the scan is done, not about the "resident" nature of the scanner - which is, in the fact, resident by principle.

So yes, on linux, there's an on access solution, too - avastguard + avast4server. on newer kernels , you might compile dazuko on the top of redirfs.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)