Author Topic: Norton Safety Minder conflicts with Avast?  (Read 3786 times)

avast12

Norton Safety Minder conflicts with Avast?
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:11:14 AM »
We've been running Avast on our 3 computers for several years. Last summer we installed Norton Safety Minder to help control our kids' web surfing and time on the computer. After installing the Norton program, we had a problem of all web pages coming up completely blank unless the Webshield was disabled. We disabled it as needed for a short while, but then the problem was only sporadic and a while later (maybe a month or two) it just went away, and we ran both Safety Minder and Webshield with no problems.

I upgraded to all the computers to 5.0 a few days ago and we're having the same issue again.  My laptop, which does not have Safety Minder on it, has never had any problems. We typically use Firefox (currently running 3.6), but the same problem occurs with IE8.

Hopefully this will go away on its own again (which actually, seemed really odd!), but if there is a fix that would allow us to keep Webshield enabled now, I would much appreciate knowing about it.

avast12

Re: Norton Safety Minder conflicts with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:12:05 AM »
Just to update...On a whim I decided to uninstall and reinstall Safety Minder on the PC and so far it seems to have resolved my issues. I'm posting this fully protected by Avast.

I'll have to try it on the Laptop in the morning and see if it works there too. Maybe Norton has updated something that's resolved the conflict.

avast12

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:44:03 PM »
Apparently I spoke too soon. After another reboot, the PC is back to blank web pages. Reinstalling did not help at all on the Laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »
Hi avast12, welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately, it would appear that Norton Safety Minder is not compatible with avast!

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pvid=&docurl=20090918125711EN

This was also discussed a while back and unfortunately a conclusion was not reached...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53255.15

-Scott-

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:17:58 PM »
Norton products seem to get their hooks deep into systems and it isn't surprising there can be driver conflicts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security