Author Topic: An indepth look at system resouce usage of most well known security products  (Read 10268 times)

Offline wonderwrench

Anyone that has had experience with Avast versions 4 and 5 care to comment on whether version 5 has improved on system performance?  Since 4.8 is included in the test, it would give a (very) rough idea where 5 would have fallen on some of these graphs.

IMO Avast 5's GUI is much faster. Can you say lightning fast. Its the fastest AV/IS GUI I have ever seen. Manual scanning speed is too close to call by eyeball. As far as system performance goes Avast 5 is heavier than 4 but not a great deal heavier. Boot times are slightly slower but again nothing major. Considering Avast 5 should have much better protection the small performance penalty is fine by me. Many people claim Avast 5 uses less memory than 4. That may be true but unless the PC Avast is installed on has a lack of free memory less ram usage will not improve performance.

I have Avast 5 Free installed on my 3 PC's. A 1.4 Ghz Centrino laptop with 768 megs of ram running XP Pro sp3 32 bit, A Athlon II 240 2.8 Ghz with 4 gigs of ram running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and a Q6600 @ 3 Ghz with 8 Gigs of ram running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The first and last were migrated from Avast Home 4.8 to Avast 5 Free. On both systems I could see a slight performance penalty when moving from Avast 4.8 Home to Avast 5 Free. All three PC's run trouble free and perform as they should IMHO. How much of an increased performance hit Avast 5 pro and AIS will bring I have no idea as I have never used them. I was seriously considering purchasing Avast 5 Pro for my three PC's but the licenses are per PC not for 3 PC's as AIS is. This makes pro more expensive than AIS if you have more than 1 PC. I guess I could buy AIS and not install the firewall.

Other thoughts: I used Avast 4.8 Home because I was sick of pig AV products. I was a long time Trend Micro Antivirus user because it was not a pig. This was about 2001. I switch to their IS product when it came out (2005?)and I was very happy with both the performance and protection. Each year TIS got to be more and more of a hog. It became as bad or worse than Norton and Mcafee. Place your favorite hogs name here. I gave up on Trend Micro in 2008 and went looking for a product that had decent protection and was not a total pig.

I tried Avira and it killed hard drive performance so bad a floppy drive looked fast. I found that many people used AVG free so I gave it a shot and it was not a pig so I used it for close to two years. AVG at some point started having update problems and after months of this problem I found and switched to Avast 4 Home. I could not believe how light Avast 4 Home was. It was like not even installing an AV as far as I could tell. The downside was the horrid media player GUI and the sounds. Once I found that skins and sounds could be turned off I was 100% happy. Now we have Avast 5 its not perfect plus 64 bit support is not complete. No boot scan, no behavior shield etc. ALWIL claims its coming, lets hope so. For me Avast 5 Free is light enough and has better protection than 4.8 Home. It should have better protection than most paid products out there. Avast 5 is a keeper IMHO!

Looks like Symantec really did some good work getting the performance hit reduced in the 2010 versions. Did they finally figure out how to make a uninstaller? I'm not sticking my neck out to find out that's for sure.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:42:50 PM by wonderwrench »
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

zekeblue

IMO Avast 5's GUI is much faster. Can you say lightning fast. Its the fastest AV/IS GUI I have ever seen. Manual scanning speed is too close to call by eyeball. As far as system performance goes Avast 5 is heavier than 4 but not a great deal heavier. Boot times are slightly slower but again nothing major. Considering Avast 5 should have much better protection the small performance penalty is fine by me. Many people claim Avast 5 uses less memory than 4. That may be true but unless the PC Avast is installed on has a lack of free memory less ram usage will not improve performance.

I have Avast 5 Free installed on my 3 PC's. A 1.4 Ghz Centrino laptop with 768 megs of ram running XP Pro sp3 32 bit, A Athlon II 240 2.8 Ghz with 4 gigs of ram running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and a Q6600 @ 3 Ghz with 8 Gigs of ram running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The first and last were migrated from Avast Home 4.8 to Avast 5 Free. On both systems I could see a slight performance penalty when moving from Avast 4.8 Home to Avast 5 Free. All three PC's run trouble free and perform as they should IMHO. How much of an increased performance hit Avast 5 pro and AIS will bring I have no idea as I have never used them. I was seriously considering purchasing Avast 5 Pro for my three PC's but the licenses are per PC not for 3 PC's as AIS is. This makes pro more expensive than AIS if you have more than 1 PC. I guess I could buy AIS and not install the firewall.

Thanks for your thoughts wonderwrench.  I am coming from Kaspersky Internet Security on XP with a Pentium M 1.7 CPU.  I installed AIS5 and notice a definite improvement in responsiveness.  I am transitioning to a new Thinkpad with a Core i5 540M and have installed Avast there as well.  Nothing to compare to however.  It may be that faster processors yield much less differences between these suites than do the older and slower ones.

bo.elam

I can say that I am delighted with the performance of Avast 5 free. I was
using Avira free until this past Tuesday and Avast performs as good or better
in every aspect when compared to Avira with only one exception. Time it takes for a full scan to be done. To me that's no big deal when you consider the
extra protection supplied by Avast shields that Aviras free version don't have.
I installed File/Behavior/Web/Network shields and with Avira you don't have
Behavior or Web shield. Even with the extra protection I feel my browsing
and downloading is really fast and even though I don't think I need the Web
shield am still using it and liking it a lot. I think Avast does better opening files
and moving around Windows.
Bo

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Good news!  Do you find your system generally more responsive, like when starting programs, rendering web pages, opening a folder in explorer, etc.?

yes :D

@wonderwrench: ur avatar makes me, well, kind of nervous... ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:02:45 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline wonderwrench

Good news!  Do you find your system generally more responsive, like when starting programs, rendering web pages, opening a folder in explorer, etc.?

yes :D

@wonderwrench: ur avatar makes me, well, kind of nervous... ;)

What you do not like horsepower? Or the movement bugs you? If its a big deal I can change it.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
What you do not like horsepower? Or the movement bugs you? If its a big deal I can change it.

it's the movement, i guess. but no big deal, at all! :D
btw, i adore horsepower! ;D
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0