Author Topic: TAPI Phone Dialer & Avast  (Read 4550 times)

DhugalMac

TAPI Phone Dialer & Avast
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:20:06 AM »
I have an application which needs to be able to dial a phone using a TAPI utility.   
This new application is to replace a 'dinosaur' of a Win3.1 Contact Manager.

In order to add the functionality to this in-house application, I need to incorporate a TAPI ActiveX routine.   However whenever I attempt to download it, Avast tells me that it is malware.

The message indicates that the Infection:  Win32:Malware-gen

The application if VTAPI.exe

I need to know if the malware alert is legitimate or merely a suspicion due to the nature of the ActiveX utility.   

If it is legitimately infected - fine.

If it is not really infected, how can I download it without Avast preventing it?

Thanks,
DhugalMac

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: TAPI Phone Dialer & Avast
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »
Hi,
try to update VPS (current is 100303-0), there was fixed some similar (maybe the same) false positive. If the file will be still detected send it to us (virus@avast.com) and put "False positive" to subject.

Thank you,
Milos

DhugalMac

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »
Since I am UNABLE to download the questionable file (remember - Avast is PREVENTING the download), I emailed the support address you gave and provided them with the download link as well as the description of the problem.

That was a number of days ago and I have not heard back from anyone.

Any suggestions on how to get the Avast Support team to use the link that I provided and test the file themselves?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:28:35 AM »
First did you do as was suggested and ensure you had the latest VPS version and then try to download it again.

If it is still detected - Pause/stop the web shield to at least be able to download it (don't run/install it), the standard/file system shield may still alert, but take no action. Don't forget to enable/start the web shield after downloading it.

You should be able to send the sample to avast in a zipped password protected email attachment.

Many people viewing this forum won't see the URL you sent to to Alwil so it would help if you posted it here as there are many possible download locations for this file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JayKriz

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:09:51 AM »
Telephony Application Programming Interface or shortly TAPI is a Microsoft Windows API and its purpose is to provide control telephony resources to applications. It is I think one cause why Avast is preventing you to download for some security reasons.You can try the suggestions of one member and I'll be expecting the result too if the malware alert is infected or not. Call Center
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:06:25 AM by JayKriz »

DhugalMac

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 03:40:11 PM »
DavidR - thank you for handling the 'false positive' issue.   
Now, with the latest Avast updates, the VTAPI.exe is no longer being flagged as a problem.

As to posting the URL - anyone interested in using VTAPI can find it by Googling for it.   
There are a number of download sites available.

Thank you,
DhugalMac

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
You're welcome, though the thanks go to Milos and the Alwil virus labs team, I'm just an avast user like yourself ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security