Author Topic: Version 5 & Win XP Defrag Issues BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16764 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Version 5 & Win XP Defrag Issues BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »
Did you reboot?

Try Add/Remove programs, choose avast, select "repair" when installer starts.
Reboot.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 08:49:04 PM »
If that command helps you, then it means the fragmentation is caused by the persistent cache feature. What that command does is, it deletes the USN journal. That is a NTFS feature. It is off by default, but can be enabled by some system functions or by programs that make use of it (in this case avast!). It's purpose is to log all changes on a disk and make this info accessible to programs. Deleting it is pretty safe, it will never damage your disk, but take note, that it is often used by backup programs and deleting it can cause problems with them, as although the file will be automatically rebuilt, you will lose information about all the changes made before you deleted the file.

Another alternative is to use a defragmentation program that is able to defragment MFT and all the related metadata, you can try Puran Defrag (free for non-commercial use), what you need to run is the Boot Time Defrag.

Firstly I have had fragmented MFT in two of my three partition of my hard disk before installing avast5 and as I said I believe I was getting these notices before avast5. Whilst the persistent cache may well have an impact, though I don't know exactly how it goes about its task I will leave that to Igor.

The important thing is that this doesn't stop the completion of a defrag as is being stated as when you do an analysis even after this notice windows defrag confirms 0% fragmentation and this is confirmed by other defrag tools and no files in the list.

Unfortunately the windows defrag isn't very helpful in this regard by saying exactly what files can't be defragged, but I certainly don't consider it a problem as the defrag completed with success on my system.

Thanks for the link and info on Puran Defrag.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:52:31 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tgell

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 01:24:14 AM »
I can't find anything on Puran's site where it is free for non-commercial use. Do you have a link?

Never mind, I found it. Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 01:28:37 AM »
It is first a 30 day trial, after that it says you have to register it (in the program installation terms of use), but I don't know if that registration also requires that you pay. In any case you can at least try it for 30 days.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:50 AM »
All I know is this happened to ALL my computers running XP after I installed the new Avast. I just dis a total re-build after a re-format & fresh install of XP Pro & checked the defrag before & after I installed Avasy 5 & it immediately stopped working correctly after the install. Nothing else was installed after the re-build just the O/S Win XP Pro then Avast. I just want my defrag working correctly again & removing Avast did not correct the problem. I build & repair computers & have used Avast for a long time. If ANYONE has a fix for the defrag issue that would be great. Sorry I came in yelling & kicking. Looks like you have a nice group here & I don't want to BASH Avast. If I'm WRONG I will be the FIRST to admit it & say I'm sorry. We ALL get frustrated when things go wrong. Like I said all I know is my 6 Win XP no longer will fully defrag & my mother-in law called this morning & hers won't either & she just installed it last night ?? I'm glad for those of you that it did NOT bother & wanting to hear from anyone else having this issue.

Thanks for the replies !

never had any troubles on different xp machines...
but if ur prob persits, maybe u want to try an alternative defrag.
defraggler is rather good and free - u can even defrag single files. (defraggler.com)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Mele20

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »
I have always had Master File Table fragmentation on XP Pro. I do not have Avast on it and never have had Avast on it. MFT fragmentation on analysis shows a total of 3 MFT fragments.  The exact same thing is shown after a defrag. It is normal.  I have some files that can NEVER be defragged on XP (ProcessGuard) but that has nothing to do with Avast either because Avast has never been on my Host XP Pro computer which is now 4 years old. Defrag always completes and is successful even though the PG files and My Private Folder files cannot be defragged.  So, after a successful defrag, my Volume fragmentation is 0 even though there are 3 MFT fragments still and 1 PageFile fragment. My File fragmentation shows 2 fragmented files after a successful defrag (the ProcessGuard files).

I only need to defrag XP about three times a year or less. It's been over six months since the last defrag and I just did an analysis and was told I do not need to defrag although file fragmentation is at 12%. I don't have enough space now to defrag until I clean up my second (older) hard drive and move some stuff there.

So, I don't think your problem involves Avast.

warlock

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »
It is first a 30 day trial, after that it says you have to register it (in the program installation terms of use), but I don't know if that registration also requires that you pay. In any case you can at least try it for 30 days.
There are two versions on the download page, download the free one, no registration or time limit for that one.

Offline ky331

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 12:54:09 PM »
I concur with the comments/analysis made by DavidR and warlock on the first page of this thread... there are some special files that, for your system's protection, are "protected" from defragmentation.
The most common are related to the Master File Table
C:\$MFT
C:\$MFT::$BITMAP

What avast5! probably did, via its implementation of the "persistant cache" feature, was activate/create the user journal:
C:\$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA
which grows rapidly, and appears to be highly fragmented. 

I do not consider any of these to be flaws in avast.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
Puran Defrag is free

You don't need to register it

Get it here

http://download.cnet.com/Puran-Defrag-Free-Edition/3000-2094_4-75115626.html?part=dl-6298149&subj=dl&tag=button

Only 2.39 MB but it is the best in its class

DRSLETMEDOWN

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
What avast5! probably did, via its implementation of the "persistant cache" feature, was activate/create the user journal:

That's the answer I wanted to know. I appreciate all the replies & information. I now understand that I am actually getting a FULL defrag & for whatever reason for ( ME ) installing Avast 5 made it start showing this message. I'm NOT trying to bash Avast & wish now I could change the thread name or just delete it. I've used Avast for a long time & jumped the gun. ALL I know is if I do a fresh install of XP with NOTHING else on the computer that message does NOT come up when I defrag & as soon as I install Avast 5 it does ( Go Figure ? ) To me AVAST is the cause. As I understand what you all have said it's NO big deal it just says what it says IGNORE it ? right ? Anyway THANKS for ALL the input & suggestions.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »
,snip>

I do not consider any of these to be flaws in avast.

I have highlighted the relevant words as ky331 didn't say that 'this is what avast! did when it implemented the "persistent cache" feature and he said, "I do not consider any of these to be flaws in avast."

More importantly if this is a contribution to the message it isn't telling you that the defrag failed or didn't complete, it is more of a polite notice that some files couldn't be defragged, unfortunately it isn't helpful by not telling you what those files are.

We were telling you right from the start that this wasn't a big deal, I guess you were waiting for an answer or educated guess that suited what you thought.

DRSLETMEDOWN

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
The info command posted by warlock should also work for you, but there is always a risk involved with this command (it stopped the message for my system), if it is the same as mine in that it relates to MFT fragmentation. Though the command is (fsutil usn deletejournal /n c:) for the c: partition and without the brackets, the restart wasn't needed.
[/quote]

THANK YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This WORKED & my defrag looks & reports as it did before without the message. You "ALL" ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what I did & it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This info command should also work for you, but there is always a risk involved with this command (it stopped the message for my system), if it is the same as mine in that it relates to MFT fragmentation. The I used the command ( fsutil usn deletejournal /n c: ) for the c: partition and without the brackets.

bobo1

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:42 AM »
Yes something in avast 5 has caused this problem with my computer cannot defrag some files and view report in defrag shows nothing, in XP. did not do this when using avast 4.8 it is same on two of computers of mine. 1 is a elonex amd processor other one is a IBM laptop t22, Something is related on Chkdsk as allways comes up Verifiying USN JOURNAL. Did not do this on avast 4.8. Tried del the usn journal file still the same!. Not worried though as xp still works!

DRSLETMEDOWN

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »

THANK YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This WORKED & my defrag looks & reports as it did before without the message. You "ALL" ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what I did & it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Well I jumped the gun & spoke TOO soon.
Evidently you have to do it every time before you defrag to get a result without the error message. That's not going to happen. I'm just re-formatting & re-building & AVOIDING Avast like the plague in the future. I don't care if I'm really getting a FULL defrag or NOT I don't like the error message & AVAST caused it my situation.
If I try & defrag it's the same as before.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »
Good luck with that  ;D