Author Topic: How do I recover "moved" files?  (Read 4076 times)

LisaLisa93

How do I recover "moved" files?
« on: July 03, 2004, 11:10:19 PM »
Or can I? When the AV software couldn't repair each file, I moved them. They are in the Alwil/Avast "moved" file, but now that the virus cleaner has cleaned them all, can I move them back??

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:How do I recover "moved" files?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 02:39:06 AM »
Right click and choose restore. But I Don't Recommend restoring infected files!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:50:54 AM »
When the AV software couldn't repair each file, I moved them. They are in the Alwil/Avast "moved" file, but now that the virus cleaner has cleaned them all, can I move them back??

If you "Moved the files to Chest", they are in the avast! Chest and you can restore them back.
If, however, you just "moved" them, they were simply put into the folder Moved inside the avast! installation folder. If you ran avast! Virus Cleaner afterwards (and it was a virus that avast! Virus Cleaner is capable to detect and remove), the files were deleted - so there is no way to restore them (except for using file-recovery tools maybe).

Why do you need to get the files back? What was the virus and file name?

LisaLisa93

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 06:51:02 AM »
If, however, you just "moved" them, they were simply put into the folder Moved inside the avast! installation folder. If you ran avast! Virus Cleaner afterwards (and it was a virus that avast! Virus Cleaner is capable to detect and remove), the files were deleted - so there is no way to restore them (except for using file-recovery tools maybe).  --This is what I did, but after it finished, it said they were clean and didn't delete these files.  

The virus was Win32: Parite and it attacked most of my .exe files. I can no longer open and Microsoft Office product.  What to do now?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 09:30:16 AM »
Parite virus should be fixed by the avast! Virus Cleaner - not deleted; so, the files should be there. However, if you instructed avast! to move the files first, they are in the avast! folder now. If you knew the files' original locations, you may be able to move the files back manually - but for some files, it may be hard to decide where they should go.