Author Topic: Avast can't do anything with virusses in a archive  (Read 8507 times)

Stephan123

Avast can't do anything with virusses in a archive
« on: July 03, 2004, 11:36:45 PM »
I have 62 files with virusses in.The files are in a archive and Avast can detect them but can't do anything with them.Some other AV's can delete the archive

niko

Re:Avast can't do anything with virusses in a archive
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 11:45:14 AM »
Hi Stephan123,
I've got teh same pb with eicar standard virus test archive, and I had to delete it manualy in dos mode... ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 05:03:08 PM »
If I'm not wrong avast! does not 'handle' files into zip archive files. You must delete the file manually, not necessarely at DOS window. If you can, delete all the zip archive and not the only the specific 'infected' file inside it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 05:15:34 PM »
If I'm not wrong avast! does not 'handle' files into zip archive files. You must delete the file manually

You are wrong. :) For most archive types, avast can easily delete/move/move2chest files from archives.

Stephan, what archive type did you use?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 05:22:42 PM »
Well, I'm glad that someone come here to stop this man saying nonsenses  ;D

At least, I was in doubt and write if I'm not wrong  :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 05:23:23 PM by Technical »

fhurst

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 10:12:39 PM »
If I'm not wrong avast! does not 'handle' files into zip archive files. You must delete the file manually

You are wrong. :) For most archive types, avast can easily delete/move/move2chest files from archives.

Stephan, what archive type did you use?

I'm frightened!!!  All week I have frantically cleaned my system of trojan, after trojan, which had seeped through IE's holes. So, I installed several different virus scanners including Avast!, to see if they can do a better job than McAfee. Each one found something the others did not. Avast! found two infected files one in C:System Volume and the other in a Hewlit Packard file for my printer. It could not clean them so I had it delete them.

I have never used Avast! before and much of what I am reading I forget, and have to read again and again in order to figure out what I am doing.

Avast found a rather large number of archives, which it said, it could not open. Now it stands to reason, if it could not open them, it also could not scan their contents and thus would be unable to detect a virus, or trojan, if one or more were present.

Is it possible for me to take a snapshot of the list Avast! displays and it to locate those archives and then manually open each archive so that the "On Access Scanner"  can then look at the files inside?

And!, is there a way to turn off the annoying display that continually pops up from the bottom of the screen every time the On Access Scanner scans a file?

It constantly gets in the way and I had to wait for it to recede each time before I could type this Post and my daughter is mad at me cause she said she could not do her homework because of it.

niko

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 11:03:28 PM »
Hi Fhurst and welcom (and keep zen !)
I'm just a new avast! user and I can say you it's a great product.
For avast! "annoying" display you have just to setup it on "silent mode" (standard shield protection/advanced), for the rest I'm sure you'll have very good advices on this forum ! ;)

fhurst

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 11:56:23 PM »
Hi Fhurst and welcom (and keep zen !)
I'm just a new avast! user and I can say you it's a great product.
For avast! "annoying" display you have just to setup it on "silent mode" (standard shield protection/advanced), for the rest I'm sure you'll have very good advices on this forum ! ;)

Where is this setting? Are you talking about the sensitivity slider for the Resident Shield, because if you reduce the sensitivity you also lose a level of protection at the same time?

I want that protection but, without it showing me the progress of it's scan, which by the way is impossible to read at the rate it is scanning anyway? If this feature is supposed to make FEEL secure by just seeing it's progress, then I say get rid of it and don't spare my feelings, because I don't need this type of visual imput.

Each time it appears I have to stop what I am doing because it rises up on top of everything and obscures it. I can't read, select, scroll, or think because of this obscuring distraction.

It is so annoying and distracting that I forget what I am doing and I can't handle it anymore. I am about ready to uninstall Avast! if I can't stop it.

Please understand, I am not angry, I'm just so distracted and depressed, that I just don't know how to handle all this. My children are in college and they need this computer in order to do their assignments, or else they have to use the one on campus, when one is available, and they return home so late and exausted that I'm afraid they will have an accident on the way. My cousin did just that, a few years ago. If it wasn't for their needs, I'm so frustrated that I would like to take a hammer to this thing.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 04:11:23 AM »
For avast! "annoying" display you have just to setup it on "silent mode" (standard shield protection/advanced)

Sorry niko, you mixed two things:
'Silent mode' = automatic actions when a virus is found
'Show detailed information on action' = show the pop up window with information.

fhurst, easy! Read the link 'Settings' on my signature. You will find this options there.
They are accessed like this:

Left click on 'a' icon.
Choose Standard Shild provider at left.
Click on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab.
Un-check 'Show detailed...'

This option is un-checked by default. You must checked it in the past without knowing its action...  :-\
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 03:17:49 PM by Technical »

niko

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 08:36:08 AM »
Hi Technical !
Sorry for my mistake, you're right !
Sorry too for Fhurst :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »
Hi Technical !
Sorry for my mistake, you're right !
Sorry too for Fhurst :-\

Don't worry niko... you tried to help and we are all learning here...
Sometimes they think I know everything but I do commit a lot of mistakes here in forums. Isn't this life?  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 03:46:50 PM »
Comparing AntiVir with avast:
AntiVir cannot handle files inside of a zip archive  :'(
avast! does  ;) (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5735)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 03:47:06 PM by Technical »