Author Topic: Avast IS 5 Firewall problem  (Read 7817 times)

clr22

Avast IS 5 Firewall problem
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
Good day,
I've recently upgraded from Avast home 4.8 to Avast IS 5. I had no problems during the installation.
I believe the problem I'm having is got to do with the firewall but do not know how to correct.
Problem:
Before installing AIS 5 I had no problem with my network at home. I could link to the other computers etc.
After the upgrade however I cannot open/ link to the rest of the computers on the network. I can ping them but cannot open them. I've got 2 PC's linked through Ethernet cable and 1 through wireless.

Files on the wireless pC can be accessed from the other two PC's but cannot access files on the other PC's. I've tried to check if I could see any differences between how AIS was configured and setup on the different PC's but they are all the same.

My knowledge on network and firewalls are very basic.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast IS 5 Firewall problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 05:06:16 PM »
Good day,
I've recently upgraded from Avast home 4.8 to Avast IS 5. I had no problems during the installation.
I believe the problem I'm having is got to do with the firewall but do not know how to correct.
Problem:
Before installing AIS 5 I had no problem with my network at home. I could link to the other computers etc.
After the upgrade however I cannot open/ link to the rest of the computers on the network. I can ping them but cannot open them. I've got 2 PC's linked through Ethernet cable and 1 through wireless.

Files on the wireless pC can be accessed from the other two PC's but cannot access files on the other PC's. I've tried to check if I could see any differences between how AIS was configured and setup on the different PC's but they are all the same.

My knowledge on network and firewalls are very basic.

maybe want 2 post your configs on ur systems...?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

clr22

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:02:37 PM »
Asyn,
What config do I need to post? Application rules, packet rules or ???

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
are you using direct connections between the PCs or is that going through a router? anyway, chose "home" or "work" for global firewall policy, as "public" will deny access to other systems in the LAN.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:24:03 PM »
Asyn,
What config do I need to post? Application rules, packet rules or ???

first start with the basics. (os? other security related sw? avast version? ...)
sorry, am out 4 today, but maybe others can help...
asyn

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

clr22

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »
My OS = Windowx XP sp2. No other security software. Windows firewall = off.
Avast IS 5.0.462. 2 PC's are connected through ethernet cable to a router and 1 Laptop connected via wireless. The firewall in Avast is currently set to default (Work/Medium risk zone). I've tried the setting Home/ Low risk as well - still the same problem.

One thing I've noticed on the desktop pc's when looking at the network connections tab. Some of the connections with the protocal = "UDP" does not show a Local Address. Instead it shows "0.0.0.0" . This apply for both in and outgoing connections. I don't know is this is of any help. I also noticed that my internet explorer is freezing now, so I stoped the firewall to enable me to post this reply.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half that provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

clr22

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
Thanks YoKenny
Do you realy thing that this will help? My laptop also running XP sp2 but I do not have any problems with the firewall on that.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:26:07 AM »
Thanks YoKenny
Do you realy thing that this will help? My laptop also running XP sp2 but I do not have any problems with the firewall on that.

first: doesn't matter if or if not it will help solving ur problem...
4 security u should always install the latest updates!!!
means: install sp3 and all further sec/sys.related-updates...!
if u did so, lets talk again.
asyn

clr22

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
I was just asking as I had to previously refresh my machine due to sp3. :-[
I've completed the updates and now running the latest xp sp3.

The network and opening files on the other desktop computers now looks fine.

As mentioned previously - One thing I've noticed on the desktop pc's when looking at the network connections tab. Some of the connections with the protocal = "UDP" does not show a Local Address. Instead it shows "0.0.0.0" . This apply for both in and outgoing connections. Surely this is not correct. How can I correct this?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »

As mentioned previously - One thing I've noticed on the desktop pc's when looking at the network connections tab. Some of the connections with the protocal = "UDP" does not show a Local Address. Instead it shows "0.0.0.0" . This apply for both in and outgoing connections. Surely this is not correct. How can I correct this?

if its on port 68 (67) its ethernet-related (DHCP) and ok.
asyn

clr22

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
No it's all over the place.
One example  - AvastSVC.exe, incommimg connection, (connection) loging.router, (Remote port) domain, (protocal) UDP, (Local address) 0.0.0.0, (Local port) 1671
It's the same for the outgoing connection as well.

I've attached more examples.

I still need to stop the firewall to post this reply as well.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »
I've attached more examples.

I still need to stop the firewall to post this reply as well.

the connections could b related 2 ur home-network, since ur running 3+ (?) machines.
i'm not using the avast fw, so can't help with that.
asyn

miscreant

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 01:45:51 PM »

In firewall settings>expert settings>network profiles ......how many network profiles are listed ,and are they assigned similarly?
m