Author Topic: Free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware  (Read 15804 times)

happy avast user

Free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
Hi all,

I hope you are well.

I would like some advice please on the following:

I am using the FREE version of Malwarebytes , after I installed Malwarebytes I restated my computer and a message came up saying Windows blocked some programs on start up.
When I clicked to see what programs were blocked on start up, Malwarebytes was blocked by start up.

1. Why would this happen?

I removed Malwarebytes from the stat up menu and I don't get any messages saying program blocked by start up.

2. Will Malwarebytes run normally and perfectly even though it is not in the start up menu?

I am using Windows Vista Home Basic
AMD Mobile Sempron

32bit Operating System.

Is anyone else using Malwarebytes Free Edition?
I am using Malwarebytes Free Version with Avast Free Antivirus.
What do you think of Malwarebytes Free Version?
Are Malwarebytes Free Version and Avast Free Antivirus a good combination, by this I mean do you think they work well together?

Please let me know what you think thanks.

happy avast user :) :)

YoKenny

Re: Free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
Malwarebytes FREE is compatable with avast!

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

Malwarebytes FREE does not autostart with Windows and are you installing it with an Administrator account and not a Limited User account?

Hally

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »
Hi  :)

I'm thinking the same thing...
are you installing it with an Administrator account and not a Limited User account?

But Also...
Where did you download your MBAM ( Malwarebytes ) from?

This is the correct place: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ( Bottom Of Page - Blue Button .. For Free Version Of MBAM )

Avast 5 - & - MBAM Free ... Happy Family's  8)
As you can see from my signature below  ;)

Hally

buttoni

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »
I'm having no problems with the free Malwarebytes and the new free Avast5 Antivirus on my Win7 x64 system.  MBAM free is just an on-demand scanner (no realtime protection).  You have to get the paid version to enjoy those realtime features.     

marc-d-l

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Malwarebytes free is an on demand freeware it will not run at start up.
I think it's great. 

Offline ky331

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:02:07 AM »
It's been a while since the last update, but my recollection is that installing MBAM will create a startup entry
"mbamgui.exe /install /silent"
that will only RUN ONCE (and then "disappear" from startup).
Perhaps this was the command that "happy avast user" is saying was being blocked on his/her system???
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:10:10 PM »
@ ky331

I forgot about that RUN ONCE item.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your Yahoo email address.

xandher

is free malwarebytes anti malware compatible with my free avast ver 6
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »
hi guys,

i'm just new to your site, and as when i started using avast free av, i don't have problem at all. lately, im just wondering and checking some blogs online. i stumble on some blogs regarding antivirus, spyware and malware. as i thought and thinking, am i fully protected? lately i encounter on some minor issues and would like to consult this...

my setup is this: WINDOWS 7 Starter, FREE AVAST ver6.0.1289, WINDOWS FIREWALL - ON, AND WINDOWS DEFENDER - ON.

i am thinking, coz as i was going through all blogs and AVAST NO WONDER has a lot of VERY GOOD REVIEWS and being partnered to COMODO FIREWALL and MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE

my question is, Can i have these settings : free Avast, free MBAM and free Comodo (or other) free Firewall and just turn off Windows Firewall and Windows Defender?

PLEASE i am more than happy to advice me with some basic and simple stuffs. im a beginner and trying to learn some new stuffs...

thanks, ;)
XANDHER

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
You only need to monitor some of the signatures below the above posta and this one to see the answer is Yes.

Only proviso is to ensure you don't install the anti-virus element with any comodo product.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »
 xandher yes you can run avast with malwarebytes free or paid and a third party firewall free or paid, the installation of a new firewall should disable the windows firewall automatically and imo defender is not needed and you should disable that anyway.

Just make sure to put the neccessary exclusion in place between your new firewall and avast.

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »

I have not yet tried this program; i.e, SMBAM, which can be downloaded from a link on the link below.  Here is a short review of it.  Could be Malware for all I know ???

Schedule Update and Scan with MalwareBytes Free Edition

Use Windows Task Scheduler to schedule automatic update and scan. Place SMBAM in your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder or anywhere else you wish to store it..........

How SMBAM will work:

1) Will start update of Malwarebytes.

2) After 4 minutes will close the update confirmation box.

3) Will start a quick scan with Malwarebytes.

4) App will exit.

Note that after Malwarebytes finishes scanning it will close unless malware was detected.

http://www.yethz.com/windows-apps/schedule-update-and-scan-with-malwarebytes-free-edition-2/398/

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »

I have not yet tried this program; i.e, SMBAM, which can be downloaded from a link on the link below.  Here is a short review of it.  Could be Malware for all I know ???

Schedule Update and Scan with MalwareBytes Free Edition

Use Windows Task Scheduler to schedule automatic update and scan. Place SMBAM in your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder or anywhere else you wish to store it..........

How SMBAM will work:

1) Will start update of Malwarebytes.

2) After 4 minutes will close the update confirmation box.

3) Will start a quick scan with Malwarebytes.

4) App will exit.

Note that after Malwarebytes finishes scanning it will close unless malware was detected.

http://www.yethz.com/windows-apps/schedule-update-and-scan-with-malwarebytes-free-edition-2/398/

Well why dont you go test it your self before recommending someone else to try it  ??? ( Could be Malware for all I know ) iv not seen a more stupid post in my life  ::) and i bet Malwarebytes dont know about this program either.

Nesivos

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
Well why dont you go test it your self before recommending someone else to try it  Huh ( Could be Malware for all I know ) iv not seen a more stupid post in my life  Roll Eyes and i bet Malwarebytes dont know about this program either.

I wasn't recommending that the poster try it.

I was just responding to the comment that Malwarebytes Free can not run at startup and that the program I linked to may in fact allow Malwarebytes to run at startup.

As far as testing it myself.   Most likely I won't do that since

1. I use SAS Pro and it has been my experience that it finds a lot more Malware than Malwarebytes.
2. I have enough programs that run at startup to suit me.  I don't want to add anymore or replace what I currently have running at startup

Since I have started using SAS Pro which was at version 4.x (5.x is a lot better) along with AIS, Malwarebytes has never found any Malware on my desktops though I run it every week or so.  On my Netbook which is running W8 DP Build 8102 with MSE rather than AIS which won't install and run properly under W8 DP Malwarebytes did find one piece of Malware.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:45:17 PM by Nesivos »

DonZ63

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 10:03:47 PM »
The recent ver. of MBAM have included a trial for MBAM Pro. He could have activated the trial ver. in which case MBAM would start at boot time or shortly after boot time if he is running WIN 7.

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 05:30:23 AM »
I don't even get why the need to change the title of the posts, and to continue posting as OT of the original main topic, after 1.5 years of the initial post of the original topic.