Author Topic: Password Recovery Programs  (Read 4879 times)

yutsi

Password Recovery Programs
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:24:37 PM »
I am a beginner programmer who frequents hackthissite and hellboundhackers and require password recovery programs to crack hashes.  But for some reason, Avast detects things like Cain and Abel and John the Ripper as PUPs. I added them to all the exclusion lists, and set the settings to "ask", but avast will always abort connection and make firefox have a download error. What can I do to prevent this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Password Recovery Programs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:18:39 PM »
The only way you can do anything to download what is considered infected/tool which can be used for good or evil is to stop the web shield. Then the file system shield is likely to alert, but at least you will have it downloaded.

I have a folder imaginatively called avast_excludes for such tools, which can be excluded from scans (at your own risk).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yutsi

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »
The only way you can do anything to download what is considered infected/tool which can be used for good or evil is to stop the web shield. Then the file system shield is likely to alert, but at least you will have it downloaded.

I have a folder imaginatively called avast_excludes for such tools, which can be excluded from scans (at your own risk).
well what's the point of a antivirus program if I have to disable so much of it?

bong2x

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »
good logic !!  ;)

what you really want?
a good security software?
or
hellboundhacker software?

they cannot be use in one system they are conflict

this is according to your choice :)

no one tell you what to do, just do it at your own risk.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:21:50 PM »

well what's the point of a antivirus program if I have to disable so much of it?

and what's the point of an AV if it loses its abilities to detect malware? ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »

What's the point, its called protection and if you want to circumvent that built in protection then you need to do something to achieve that.

You don't have to disable any of it, having downloaded the tool you want it should be obvious that you should enable the web shield again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »
funny, it's not the first time on this forum that someone does request that some malware detection would be removed from the software, giving as pretexts some sort of studies about samples and hacks and god knows what... I mean I can't believe that any of these guys can seriously expect some positive feedback ;D why not deactivate the shields if needed... hey, because it's more fun to attempt to neutralize the AV when politely asking ;D ... don't even wanna speculate about the purpose ::)