Author Topic: Can't reboot (except in safe mode) after upgrade to Avast Internet Security  (Read 6011 times)

conboeck

Everything seemed to go smoothly when I upgraded to Avast Internet Security, until it said I needed to reboot before the upgrade takes effect. The reboot kept looping, so I rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled Avast, and rebooted just fine. I then downloaded FREE Avast which works fine, tried ??? to upgrade again and same reboot loop happened.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:37:12 PM by conboeck »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Can't reboot (except in safe mode) after upgrade to Avast pro
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »
product comparison - if you havent read it already
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Can't reboot (except in safe mode) after upgrade to Avast pro
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
Mkis, what is that supposed to help the OP?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Are there any minidump files (with timestamps corresponding to the reboots) in Windows\Minidump folder?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
product comparison - -
- prioritise Script shield, Process virtualisation, Command-line scanner as need to be tested
- before they can be flagged as not directly the cause of reboot loop

They are leads Zyndstoff from which to begin test cycles - simple tests base on what are the introduced differences                                                                                                                                                

can pass them quickly enough as not direct responsible and move on, or may prompt to surface info that helps with troubleshoot of issue
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:59:49 AM by mkis »

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
Mkis: I see what you were trying to communicate to the OP, but kindly consider this:

-It was a newbie posting
-he/she must not necessarily have deeper IT-skills

So I think your post in question may be of value to a somewhat experienced user in guiding him to where to troubleshoot, it will be of no help for any not tech-savvy user. Those do need advice on what to do next. They often don't have the ability to troubleshoot on their on.
 ::)

Thx
Zyndstoff
Free MBAM Clear

conboeck

Zyndstoff is correct...as a newbie I would need a little more non-tech advice to tackle the problem.  Thanks for trying.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
product comparison is recommended reading for all users, is very good sheet.

the OP has introduced a new environment for their operating system. Outside the firewall and sandbox, which are obvious points of focus, the user's system does need to be reconciled with the new environment. I don't see that the product comparison sheet can be posted too often. The posting of the sheet is not only for the benefit simply of the OP. There are other members who came to the forum to read through the posts.

So where were we?

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
You wanted to give more specific advice to the OP... I can't, because I don't know what to do.  ::)
Free MBAM Clear

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Igor intervened - OP has the option to send in a minidump file which is good option.

However our issue is important zyndstoff and probably more so when computer can boot into Normal mode  and there are still problems, and not the least because I dont really know either, but like you I sure do want to find out. There has been a few situations that appear somewhat similar to the OP's issue and I would say at a guess that there is a program, a device or a driver  on the OP's computer that is proving to be a spanner in the works. And more often than not, this will  then confuse (for want of better word) the process at the time that is being represented by AvastSVC and so is unable to perform to task.

Just an example, I have to go out for a while and I dont want to drop this just now because we might be able to devise some workarounds for users that allow them to test their Security Suite. and also see if anything comes back from Igor, etc.  I will be back.

And I just dont think the Help Center gets used enough. there are some great sheets in there, and simply written, ideal for newbs to get their heads around.

Edit - OP reinstalls Security Suite, boots into Safe Mode, runs a HijackThis analysis.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:28:00 AM by mkis »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Oh sorry, here's how to find Help center - for those who do not know

- right-click avast icon (orange ball with 'a' on it) in system tray at lower right- hand corner of screen.
- choose > Open avast! user interface
- Help center is found top right-hand corner of screen (see screenshot)

Here is how to run a HijackThis log

Click here – http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/download/8571e06e5eb8ab03c649f3b5d647c599/

Download the program and run. Then do scan and save a log file.
Post the log file to the forum thread. If it is too large you may have to post in two parts.

Once HjT is download and run, then you can access to run scans without having to be on the internet.
You can also run HjT scans in Safe Mode.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:48:09 PM by mkis »

conboeck

Thanks..I will try to do that in next couple days (Have been too busy to address the problem lately). I did already try the help center but couldn't find anything appropriate to my problem.  :) :)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Hi conboeck

I think Zyndstoff perhaps right, and my second post was a bit too abrupt for a reminder

Here is another step test that we take the computer through - I use OSI, others use PSI
- even just to check that yr flashplayer is performing at optimum
- checks java is up to date as well

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/ 

click Start Scanner - takes you to next page, where java applet loads
choose display only insecure, click Start - scanner runs, generates report at finish

The scanner will highlight the programs that need to be updated and will give you download link.