Author Topic: What is the best!  (Read 18437 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: What is the best!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
In my opinion, for an average user Online Armor is easier to use than for example Comodo ( both are great products ).

i agree. if u talk bout the 3.x version of comodo. the new 4.x is much easier 2 use 4 unexpirienced users, but i wouldn't use it right now, there r still some bugs (sandboxing feature), as this version is rather new.

i think best 4:
experienced users: comodo (best flexibility if u know what u do - can even block itself :D )
average users: online armor (it's a really good fw, but not that flexible)
unexperienced users: system integrated fw (don't have 2 think about it)

asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
Well comodo has put another new option to their firewall which is a sandbox which is present in the free version or comodo and also in the pro version :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
Well comodo has put another new option to their firewall which is a sandbox which is present in the free version or comodo and also in the pro version :)

true.
but, as stated in my last post - don't use comodo 4 with the sandbox feature (partly insecures ur sys). they're just trying to get the bugs fixed, so maybe later. if u urgently need sandboxing, u can use sandboxie.
asyn

btw: @rednose: didn't fully get your ABX explanation, bit confusing... ;)

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
btw: @rednose: didn't fully get your ABX explanation, bit confusing... ;)

You mean : @waking ;)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 07:10:17 PM »
You mean : @waking ;)

Greetz, Red.

yes... ;D
asyn

rambo1940

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
Finding an top quality AV is really dependent on which one,and there are many,sits on your computer without conflicting with other programs.
I have tried many and Avast free is the only one that dosn't cause problems.
Firewalls are a real pain.I have tried just about all of them,Free and Paid for.
Comodo used to be great but recently they have been more interested in adding more Bells an Whistles rather than attending to problems.
I discarded it some months ago
I have found that the Windows Firewall is the only one that dosn't screw my system.The Firewall in Windows 7 is two way.
Even on my XP computer I have found that the Windows one way firewall is good enough.i do have an additional firewall in my router.
So i think the answer is try everything until you find the the software that works perfectly on your system.
Regards

bong2x

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
So i think the answer is try everything until you find the the software that works perfectly on your system
+100

you must find the combination that fit in to your system :D ;)
you got the best answer in searching security software :D ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »
So i think the answer is try everything until you find the the software that works perfectly on your system.

well spoken, absolutely agree!
nevertheless there are!! some people out there, who can tell u what's best 4 your system/needs/knowledge as the tend 2 keep up 2 date, which is hard enough... ;)
asyn

waking

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
btw: @waking: didn't fully get your ABX explanation, bit confusing... ;)

Well, apologies if it wasn't clear enough. Let me try one more example.
Consider these hypothetical products:

Brand "Y" AV includes anti-spam/phishing.
Brand "Y" FW does NOT include anti-spam/phishing.

Brand "Z" AV does NOT include anti-spam/phishing.
Brand "Z" FW includes anti-spam/phishing.

If you install Brand "Y" AV & FW you have protection
against spam/phishing.

Similarly, if you install Brand "Z" AV & FW you have
protection against spam/phishing.

If you install Brand "Y" AV & Brand "Z" FW, you will
have *double* protection against spam/phishing.

But if you chose to install Brand "Y" FW and Brand "Z" AV,
you would NOT have any anti-spam/phishing protection.

So there is a (at least theoretical) risk that you *may*
be missing some protection if care isn't exercised when
combining AV and FW from different providers.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 11:22:02 PM »

please don't apologize!
i know it's not always that easy to explain things.
thanks 4 setting it clear. :)
asyn

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:11 AM »

please don't apologize!
i know it's not always that easy to explain things.
thanks 4 setting it clear. :)
asyn

Wait is sandboxie free O.O?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 05:00:18 PM »
Wait is sandboxie free O.O?

afaik: yes... :D

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 05:45:10 PM »
My experience here is limited, but this should give you basic idea.

sandboxie free is a stand-alone sandbox program. It can work independent of yr other protections just like like avast can work as an antivirus on its own.

However, I haven't tried sandboxie yet, so no idea how it works. I would guess that you would put a program in the sandbox and you would run it in there, say Internet Explorer or Facebook, which is good example, you open the sandbox, then look for yr Facebook link and open it inside the sandbox (I guess).

here's how avast sandbox works --
The virtualisation thing in Pro (and in Security Suite) is the avast sandbox feature, Shiw Liang. It's quite simple to use from what I can work out - you open Process Virtualisation and scroll to the bottom of the page to Run a virtualized process...  You click this and Explore will open so that you can navigate to the program or app that you want, and then you simply open that.

The program or app will open inside a special window with a red border - inside a sandbox.
Ultimately, the sandbox protects yr web resources - the browser and the plugins. That are not so easily protected at desktop level. In turn yr desktop becomes yet further removed from potential infection zones.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:39:57 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline rnuis

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
i had tride Online Armor but my system got a bit slower , now i am using PC Tools Firewall and my system works bit faster. Is Pc Tools  Firewall also a good Firewall then???
Avast internet security 2015 10.0.2208 , MBAM 2.03 ,Firefox 33.03
Windows 8.1 Pro 32Bit

rambo1940

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
It is considered to be in the top four or five firewalls.
A good choice if it does not screw up you computer.
Regards