Author Topic: can't run avast scan in safe mode  (Read 44518 times)

nreilly

can't run avast scan in safe mode
« on: March 23, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »
I have just installed Avast free on a laptop running xp pro.  It was running Nortons but was out of date so it was removed and avast installed.  First scan detected 12 infected files 9 of which were removed successfully.  3 files which as I recall were c:\documents and settings\application data\moncee.exe and 2 that were the same, again from memory c:\documents and settings\application data\scsub.exe.  The error message I received was something like "these files are in use".  I then restarted in safe mode to see if I could get rid of them, and avast returned the error 'can't execute due to no start and stop points'.  Please note that is a very rough paraphrase.  I restarted again in standard mode and it is now running.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: can't run avast scan in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
avast 5 does not run in safe mode, but you have the boot scan ( not on 64bit OS)
Click the scan tab, and then you should see " boot scan " just under the tab

Check your computer for Malware with

Malwarebytes Antimalware http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
after install click UPDATE and run quick scan, click on REMOVE SELECTED to quarantine anything found

SUPERAntiSpyware http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
Are cookies really spyware and are they dangerous?
http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=26

If anything is found come back and post the scan logs here
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:27:15 PM by Pondus »

nreilly

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:29:08 PM »
Thanks

Philo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:24:39 AM »
I am getting the same "no endpoints from endpoint mapper" error when trying to run avst 5.0.462. I cannot access it in safe mode. I ran malwarebytes in safe mode. ran fine, no infections found. ran ccleaner too just for kicks. still cannot run avast 5.0.462 in safe mode. What gives? I even dumped avast and installed the new windows essentials and ran an hour long full scan with that, nothing found.

So, either im infected with the most prolific virus in history, or, avast simply no longer works in safe mode.

Now I love avast stuff and recommend it to everyone. but if I cant run my primary Av in safe mode, I think Im gonna switch :/

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:55:02 AM »
As come out in yr other thread - you cant run yr primary Av in safe mode

Pondus said as much in the post #2
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »
I ran malwarebytes in safe mode. ran fine, no infections found.
quote from Malwarebytes Administrator: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=5590

MBAM works from safemode but it is not designed to work that way .

MBAM will work better from regular mode both in terms of what it detects and what it can remove .

Doing a safemode scan with MBAM should only be done when a regular mode scan fails .

And to my knowledge a scann in safemode / Bootscann will not give you better detection, only better removal

Virus Scanning in Safe Mode
If you have a virus you can not delete or if your system will not boot up correctly and you suspect a virus is the problem, a recommended solution is to start your computer in safe mode and run a virus scan. By running your computer in safe mode, non-essential processes do not start and non-core components are disabled. In other words, only the minimum necessary programs will load. Tough to remove viruses, spyware and other malware usually have no chance to run and disrupt your system and can more easily be removed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:55:35 AM by Pondus »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
Pondus is right, Philo (well, until proved wrong, which is very unlikely)

I used to think like you did, and swear to all ends on Safe Mode. But not any more.

Safe Mode certainly does have its purposes, but in this case I believe Pondus advise is best followed.

Regards, Mark.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Philo

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »
I really appreciate the diversity of opinions guys. As with most things, I think it just comes down to personal preference.

For my own experiences, I have found infections on PC's using avast 4.8 in safe mode that 4.8 didn't pick up in a standard system scan. I prefer having the access to my system a safe mode scan provides if something is found, as opposed to what provided during a boot-level scan.

Either way, I will continue to recommend, and help install Avast! for friends and family who are looking for good, no worries AV protections. 

I think I will try something else for awhile, and if I get burned, I'll come limping back with my tail between my legs. :)

bo.elam

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:32:12 AM »
nreilly, I think Pondus suggestions on reply one was good advice, I am
a newbie like you and ran the boot scan on Sunday to try it out. It was
fast and nice. May be you ought to do one to try removing what was
not removed on your first Avast scan.
Bo

Digibop

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:30:02 PM »
Hello All,

I can't run a scan in safe mode either.

All of these other antivirus scanners CAN run in safe mode:

AVG
ESET Online Scanner
Norton Security Scan
Trend Micro Housecall
Symantec Security Check
BitDefender Free Online Scan
Malwarebytes

Why can't Avast?

I will go back to AVG now.

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 09:50:16 PM »
I can't run a scan in safe mode either.
I will go back to AVG now.

You know, you actually can run scan in safe mode w/ 5.0.507... so instead of this you could have upgraded. But whatever fits your needs.

Digibop

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »
I have version 5.0.507

doktornotor

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:59:26 PM »
I have version 5.0.507

Well, then you could perhaps provide some more information on why you can't run the scan in safe mode and what's your exact problem with that, because it's supposed to work and it works here.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58539.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
I have version 5.0.507

Why is it that you need to run a scan in safe mode ?

avast can run a boot-time scan before windows starts, which is better than a safe mode scan. This is available on 32bit OS versions of the following, win2k through to win7. The boot-time scan isn't currently available on 64bit OSes (expected on avast version 5.1).

So what is your OS ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Digibop

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 01:54:04 AM »
I just tried running Avast in safe mode again.
This is what it shows:

UNSECURED
Your system is not protected.
Please use the fix now button to start protecting your system.
(Clicking does nothing)

Clicking on the "Scan Computer" options has the following message:
Unable to start scan. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

Also, it states, "The Avast antivirus program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state. Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system.

I did a screen capture of this message. I wish there was some way to show it on here.

I'm running Windows XP Home Ed.
Avast Free 5.0.507