Author Topic: connectivity after last update  (Read 2634 times)

pectillin

connectivity after last update
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »
Hi

Have free version of Avast, have it set to auto update.  Using Win XP Pro SP3, Avast 5.0.677, update v.100910-0, 9-10-2010, 2:43:28 am  

Things have been fine and dandy until today.  Unless I deactivate Avast I can't get webpages to open, keep getting a "FF can't find" message; tried with IE8 - same thing.  

Keep everything cleaned out using CCleaner, so I'm not bogged down with a lot of "junk".  Have tried repairing connection, all is well there.  Can ping things like google.com using command prompt, but can't get the pages to open.

The only thing that seems to make a difference is shutting Avast down.  Then I can see my homepage, go to SingSnap and have that work, etc.

Was there something weird in the last update?

WinXP Pro SP3, malwarebytes, hijackthis, ccleaner, ZoneAlarm Pro version:5.5.094.000 (yeah it's old but the newer versions kept hosing my system) - and it does not recognize Avast, according to it, I don't have a/v, but it did that with another one I had used.  And yes the old one was uninstalled.

Help?  I am running Comcast from modem to netgear wired router to computer, no problems there, have unplugged/reset both.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:56:32 PM by pectillin »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: connectivity after last update
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
This is most commonly down to firewall blocking avast rather than avast blocking the internet (as it isn't a firewall).

ZA seems to have some form in this regard as on occasions it appears to suffer digital amnesia and blocks applications even though the Program is allowed.

Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pectillin

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »
This is most commonly down to firewall blocking avast rather than avast blocking the internet (as it isn't a firewall).

ZA seems to have some form in this regard as on occasions it appears to suffer digital amnesia and blocks applications even though the Program is allowed.

Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Just opened ZA, went to Firewall tab, and it's not in the Internet or Trusted main tab at all :/

In the Programs tab it has a green checkmark under Access: Trusted and Internet:
avast! Antivirus
avast! antivirus Update (2 of those)
avast! Service

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »
@ pectillin

I would un-install ZoneAlarm as there are better software firewalls now.

The GeSWall Freeware firewall works great for me:
http://www.gentlesecurity.com/downloads_geswall.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »
<snip>
Just opened ZA, went to Firewall tab, and it's not in the Internet or Trusted main tab at all :/

In the Programs tab it has a green checkmark under Access: Trusted and Internet:
avast! Antivirus
avast! antivirus Update (2 of those)
avast! Service

Did you have avast 4.8 on your system before (I suspect so) ?
If so delete all entries for avast to make sure you clear old references to avast 4.8.

Those entries should have more information than just the process/service name, there should be avastSvc.exe which controls the various shields and avast.setup.

Then connect, browse, collect email and do a manual update and ZA should ask permission again, allow (remember) and set as trusted.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security