Author Topic: Can I temporarily disable Avast?  (Read 20994 times)

norel

Re: Can I temporarily disable Avast?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
streetskater, have you tried disabling the avast! self-defense module? Do that and you should then be able to disable or stop the avast! services. It's been awhile since I've used 4.8 but I think it's in Settings>Troubleshooting.

kesihua

Re: Can I temporarily disable Avast?
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
Here's a good example of needing to turn off Avast!:
I'm trying to troubleshoot my wife's bluescreen on her Dell. I'm just trying to get it to boot--not connected to the internet.

Dell Support says:

Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This error is typically caused by a bad driver, or a faulty or incompatible hardware or software component. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt Request Level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than or equal to its own.

Perform the steps below to resolve the blue screen error.

1. If the Stop error includes the name of the driver [it doesn't] that caused the failure, determine which device corresponds to that driver. Remove any third-party hardware in addition to any recently installed components from the system.

2. If this error occurs when attempting to reinstall the operating system [I'm not], remove any unnecessary hardware from the computer (including USB devices, printers, additional memory modules, and network, sound and serial adapters).

3. Disable any anti-virus software that is running on the computer.