Author Topic: XP Running nice with Avast  (Read 5145 times)

bo.elam

XP Running nice with Avast
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:03:31 AM »
Reading many of the posts at this forum had me restless about
installing Avast but I am very happy that I have done so. I am
running XP SP3 with Sandboxie and Defense Wall and after three
hours running and a couple of re boots Avast is working real nice
with my system. I read about problems with XP so I just wanted
to let people know that here is a XP running beautifully with no
slow down at all.   

CharleyO

Re: XP Running nice with Avast
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »

Welcome to the forums. bo.elam, and thanks for the positive post.   :)

I too have had no problems with avast 5 after installing (or upgrading from 4.8) on 12 computers using XP & Vista OSs.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »
I read about problems with XP so I just wanted
to let people know that here is a XP running beautifully with no
slow down at all.   

hi bo.elam, thnks 4 posting!
i also had never any probs with different xp systems.
think most users don't have. since only people with probs post here.
don't know the ratio (1/1000, 1/10000, or even higher ??)
asyn

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Stran05

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:30:34 PM »
bo.elam, aren't you a community member of Avira Support Forum. Nice to see you here. Personally, Avira 10 has'nt been upto the mark as Avast! 5 has been able to. I also am running Avast! 5 on Windows XP(Service Pack-2) and it is running very very smoothly.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
@ Stran05

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your gmail.com email address.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half that provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »
@ Stran05
Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half that provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

i would also advice 2 do so...!
the best av can't help u, if the system is outdated and therefore vunerable!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

twl845

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »
@ Stran05

i would also advice 2 do so...!
the best av can't help u, if the system is outdated and therefore vulnerable!
asyn

If the system is compatible with your AV, in this case Avast! what's the difference how old a version it is as long as the AV works with it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:31:07 PM »
If the system is compatible with your AV, in this case Avast! what's the difference how old a version it is as long as the AV works with it?

i hope u are just joking bout that!! ???
since i haven't got the time 2 start an overall security-tutorial here (would b off topic, anyways), maybe u just search the net 2 get urself informed bout the changes made from xp2 to xp3. also bout the need of frequent os/browser/mailclient/netrelated-sw updates, etc...
asyn
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:33:55 PM by Asyn »

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »

i hope u are just joking bout that!! ???
since i haven't got the time 2 start an overall security-tutorial here (would b off topic, anyways), maybe u just search the net 2 get urself informed bout the changes made from xp2 to xp3. also bout the need of frequent os/browser/mailclient/netrelated-sw updates, etc...
asyn

Its possible they have run out of run out of invisible ink and do not know it.  ;)

twl845

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »
Are you saying that if you are using Win2000, using Avast v5 getting your definition updates every day, and I'm using WinXP using Avast v5 getting my definition updates every day, I'm more protected than you? That's the comparison I'm talking about. Maybe I wasn't on the same wave length as you.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 02:36:45 AM »
@ twl845

Its a comment on your reply in:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57565.msg485345#msg485345

As long as the operating system is the most current then you are protected.

Win2000 is a very old operating system and will fondly be remembered like Win98 is.

bo.elam

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 03:53:56 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I love this new (Avast 5) toy.
I was using Avira and I can honestly say that I feel safer today using
Avast instead of Avira. Thank you again ........I am going now, to
drive the new toy again.
Bo

@Stran, Hi Stran05, Avira 10 was not for me, it only lasted 15
minutes in my computer because of different reasons.  I never
get infected and they took away the choice to ignore when some-
thing gets detected by the scanner and I can not live with that.