Author Topic: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?  (Read 132657 times)

Cako

Re: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
something like distortion. ::)

looks like the same peak as battery controller enable,

::) is p2p shield use impulsive amount of power when it is scanning?  ???

Regards!!!

hi bong2x,I do not know if it's a distortion, but may be something related to a too small page file or where the page file could dynamically grow (start- end and size not set to the same value) with memory which avast administers. (probably  ::) )

NON.
hi. :)
I am very happy to do the full scan without slow down my computer or have high DPC,Congratulations ALWIL  :)
sorry for replying late,I took this picture at the exact moment when I had a red peak.

I'm trying to use the Process Explorer to help positively identified in real time what process or driver is causing it all.
I would use the P2P shield again.
so,i find this.
Download Process Explorer,dont need install,just use.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Download Debugging Tools for Windows.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.Mspx#EQB

Go to Process Explorer's Options/Configure Symbols, and in the Dbghelp.dll path box enter the new path to DBGHELP.DLL,C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows\dbghelp.dll
In the Symbols path box, enter srv*C:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
for symbol resolution to work, you must change the "Dbghelp.dll path" to point at the copy of dbghelp.dll that was installed with the Debugging Tools for Windows.
(I dont have done that part, I'm kinda busy.)

vlk and (or) ALWIL team.
Probably I dont have enough knowledge to solve it myself, I just can do its try to send as much of the Information for ALWIL try to find a solution.
I know about the difficulty of it, but I want my P2P shield working again.
Its not just for me, I always help when I can,look:
http://br.answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylt=AtsyD6j4zSpgdW8tLXXR50vHwIlQ;_ylv=3?sid=396545660
Here, the right of the screen I am leader of category computers and internet of yahoo answers in Brazil.
only one hour per day I became leader, that's nothing, but it shows my intention to help.
this problem with DPC is the same as happened with the web shield, but I know,if the problem cant be simulated ALWIL has no way to correct, but believe me and try to verify the information that I gave,and i will still I giving.

After nearly 3 months
slow mouse jumping on the screen - FIXED (after I uninstall the game swat 4)
high DPC in the full scan - FIXED - (after ALWL provide fixes in avast free  5.0.507)
high DPC problem while using the P2P shield - NOT FIXED - (who will fix it  ??? )

If I dont find a solution to fix it, at least i will improve my English a little. ;D

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:46:48 PM by Cako »

avvidro

« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
Oi Cako, como vai?

A primeira e mais urgente coisa para melhorar seu inglês é que End é fim e não E (&). Em inglês, E é And.

Cako

« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »
Oi Cako, como vai?

A primeira e mais urgente coisa para melhorar seu inglês é que End é fim e não E (&). Em inglês, E é And.

ola avvidro !
valeu !! eu sempre esqueço,eu não estou acustumado em escrever em inglês  ;D
hi avvidro !
thanks !! I always forget, I'm not very accustomed to write in English  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:54:29 PM by Cako »

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2010, 04:06:28 AM »
I'm trying to use the Process Explorer to help positively identified in real time what process or driver is causing it all.
I would use the P2P shield again.
so,i find this.
Download Process Explorer,dont need install,just use.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Download Debugging Tools for Windows.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.Mspx#EQB

Go to Process Explorer's Options/Configure Symbols, and in the Dbghelp.dll path box enter the new path to DBGHELP.DLL,C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows\dbghelp.dll
In the Symbols path box, enter srv*C:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
for symbol resolution to work, you must change the "Dbghelp.dll path" to point at the copy of dbghelp.dll that was installed with the Debugging Tools for Windows.
(I dont have done that part, I'm kinda busy.)

I'll try this. Thanks for the tips.

http://br.answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylt=AtsyD6j4zSpgdW8tLXXR50vHwIlQ;_ylv=3?sid=396545660
Here, the right of the screen I am leader of category computers and internet of yahoo answers in Brazil.
only one hour per day I became leader, that's nothing, but it shows my intention to help.

Wow, you are the top of the leaders, great. 8)
I'm also one of answerer in Yahoo answers in Japan (especially computers too), but I have never got the top. I'm a minor one. ;D

I'll test with Process Explorer when sound chattering occurs.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

avvidro

« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2010, 03:52:40 AM »
After nearly 3 months
high DPC in the full scan - FIXED - (after ALWL provide fixes in avast free  5.0.507)
high DPC problem while using the P2P shield - NOT FIXED - (who will fix it  ??? )
At other hand, it is not cool the way Support team seems to be "slipping" away from the core of this issue. Well, since the DPC problem is not occurring with everybody, the team can "push it with the belly". Well, one or other way we don't have entire certainty, but you, you could contact the secunia (ponto) com site. If they notice and publish, the approach of the problem will be very different. Indeed it will. At another hand we should take it easy with the people here, since many users post here putting guilt of every their problem to Avast.

coolsilver

« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2010, 04:46:27 AM »
If you can't replicate it, can't find it in code you the developer controls, or just don't know how or why it happens sometimes....

You can't fix it. They haven't slipped, dodged or ignored the issue. You notice people had issues with a DVD player driver and other programs they could determine. Those were fixed quickly and would be the same if they knew why.

It's sad they have to add an additional 50k of code to work around other programs flaws. I'm sure they had to do some fancy patch work for the multiple versions of Windows.

Cako

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2010, 05:03:50 AM »
After nearly 3 months
high DPC in the full scan - FIXED - (after ALWL provide fixes in avast free  5.0.507)
high DPC problem while using the P2P shield - NOT FIXED - (who will fix it  ??? )
At other hand, it is not cool the way Support team seems to be "slipping" away from the core of this issue. Well, since the DPC problem is not occurring with everybody, the team can "push it with the belly". Well, one or other way we don't have entire certainty, but you, you could contact the secunia (ponto) com site. If they notice and publish, the approach of the problem will be very different. Indeed it will. At another hand we should take it easy with the people here, since many users post here putting guilt of every their problem to Avast.

Hi avvidro.
I'll follow your tip.
this happened after the 396 version,but now some problems have been resolved I think it's just a matter of time to fix it permanently.
I did not know what was DPC latency, only after much research I could find it.
I keep searching and using many programs to find a solution,a few people have the same problem.
do this without knowledge of the Construction of drivers and software its very painful and takes a lot of my free time.

At another hand we should take it easy with the people here, since many users post here putting guilt of every their problem to Avast.
you have reason, I dont want be confused with these people, so I'm doing everything possible to positively identified with 100% certainty what drivers or programs are doing it on my P2P shield.
Its very painful and disappoint, sometimes I dont know what to look for.
thanks again,you seem to be a conscious person when writing. :)

NON.
Wow, you are the top of the leaders, great.
I'm also one of answerer in Yahoo answers in Japan (especially computers too), but I have never got the top. I'm a minor one.
I'll test with Process Explorer when sound chattering occurs.
thanks NON,You're a great guy.
may be you are not in the top on Yahoo answers, but you are the first here,thanks again  ;D
I install the Debugging Tools for Windows and I'm researching and I will try to use it to debug a file.
I also want to see if it is possible to debug drivers and dll,without risk to my computer,I found some tutorials about Debugging Tools, I will study them and try.. :o

bong2x
i like this line NON Cheesy

if something useless, then disable it or uninstall it.

i think maybe by the time i install my os its ask me if i want to install battery controller, i did put in yes and continue anyway
but i don't have battery mounted in the computer
so what this driver do? when it is enable?

Thanks!!!

Best Regards!!!

Hi bong2x.
try disabling this using the manages services.
I tried to research something about it and found nothing significant.
sorry. :'( :'(

coolsilver
If you can't replicate it, can't find it in code you the developer controls, or just don't know how or why it happens sometimes....
You can't fix it. They haven't slipped, dodged or ignored the issue. You notice people had issues with a DVD player driver and other programs they could determine. Those were fixed quickly and would be the same if they knew why.
It's sad they have to add an additional 50k of code to work around other programs flaws. I'm sure they had to do some fancy patch work for the multiple versions of Windows.

hi.
You can't fix it.
I know I cant fix alone or myself, but I can try,and give information if possible for this to be resolved.
it is very difficult,especially for me, but I have the intend to insist a little more.
Thank you.

EDITED- i will make this myself.......(about debug,i hope dont damege my PC)
Debugging Tools for Windows 62 bit and 32 bit
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:36:37 AM by Cako »

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:47 PM »
Hi Cako,

thanks NON,You're a great guy.
may be you are not in the top on Yahoo answers, but you are the first here,thanks again 
I install the Debugging Tools for Windows and I'm researching and I will try to use it to debug a file.
I also want to see if it is possible to debug drivers and dll,without risk to my computer,I found some tutorials about Debugging Tools, I will study them and try..
Thanks much, I respect your knowledge and efforts. Praise is yours, of course, not mine ;)
Unfortunately I don't have enough time to analysis this deeply now, but I'll try it at no distance date.

EDITED- i will make this myself.......(about debug,i hope dont damege my PC)
Debugging Tools for Windows 62 bit and 32 bit
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

Maybe there is no need to say this to you (you're the top of yahoo! answers 8)), but just in case:
Make sure to make System Restore Point, and if you have enough time, partition imaging is more safe.
This may take long time, so you should start imaging before going to bed ;D
There are some free soft that can do it.

EASEUS Todo Backup
http://www.todo-backup.com/

Paragon Backup & Recovery
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/download.html

Good luck, and take care... :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:18:50 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

stuboy

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »
I have been suffering exactly the same problem with DPC latency on my quad core XP SP3 machine with Emule running.
The problem does not occur when the following combination of modules are used:-

When i disable Avast all together my max latency is 220uS

I disabled each of the 7 shields and that made no difference!

Ok I have done the following now:-

File System Shield:- Stopped
Mail Shield:- Running
Web Shield:- Running
P2P Shield:- Running but Emule not being scanned
IM Shield:- Stopped
Network Shield:- Running
behavior Shield:- Running

This combination stops the problem with DPC latency, anyone provide anymore help on this?
Regards
Stu

silviucc

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
I would like to drop my 2c here on the DPC latency thing. For me, what happened was that I would get large spikes sometimes but I really couldn't understand why, after quite sometime I was able to link the problem to my GPU changing frequencies like when playing a game and doing and Alt+Tab, or watching a youtube video. Some people attributed this to also Intel CPU switching frequencies (speedstep)

I would not rule out bad drivers, but the above is worth a look.

Good luck.

stuboy

« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »
OK I took your advise and updated both my Network interface drivers the Marvell and the Realtek 8169 there were updates for both and I installed the latest update of Avast.  So far the results seem encouraging. My highest latency for the last 2 days is 1804uS easily acceptable  8)
Long may it continue, I will keep the thread updated if it starts deteriating again as it sometimes took a few days.
Regards
Stu

silviucc

« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »
Going to resurrect this topic.

Using the latest AIS, had a linux distro torrent running in the background and was watching a movie. I noticed some weird sound but thought maybe something was wrong with the file, then wanted to watch video on youtube and noticed the same problem with those. Checked DPC latency and it was well above 8000uS. I closed utorrent no improvement then I disabled AIS for 10 minutes and latency went back to normal.

Also, it stayed low after AIS re-enabled itself.

I have the latest drivers for my onboard NIC, system specs are in the sig
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:48:09 PM by Silviu C. »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
You don't say what build of avast5 you have, 5.1.889 is the latest (I don't know if that will make a difference) ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:34:27 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

silviucc

« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2011, 09:33:26 PM »
Seems I cannot access it. i get "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
You don't say what build of avast5 you have, 5.1.889 is the latest (I don't know if that will make a difference) ?

I think that latency is different than this ??