Author Topic: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?  (Read 132622 times)

silviucc

Re: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
Yeah, I was talking about build 5.1.889

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2011, 09:46:04 PM »
My post was directed at Sir DavidR's post, which he has edited and I posted before that. Sorry for the misunderstanding Silviu C.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
I can confirm there's a compatibility issue between the AIS Firewall and uTorrent. This will hopefully be addressed in one of the upcoming updates.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gzex

« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2011, 03:21:27 AM »
Are there issues if some other torrent client is used ?
is this problem utorrent specific ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2011, 03:24:11 AM »
That's unknown - but all the reports so far mentioned uTorrent.

silviucc

« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2011, 09:59:48 PM »
One thing tho, I do not use AIS' firewall component. It's turned off... or is it ?

gzex

« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2011, 02:31:24 AM »
That's unknown - but all the reports so far mentioned uTorrent.

I think it's with all torrent applications , I just tried with  qBittorrent .
Same thing, as soon as there are some connections latency goes high and pretty soon it's over the top.
When exited from both applications , it calms down and then everything goes back to normal.
But as you know, you can't just download something and after it's done exit from application (seeding) , you just have to run it 24/7.

Please take care of it as soon as you can.

Thanks.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2011, 04:45:23 AM »
Just an FYI, Windows 7 has a bug that can cause high DPC latency unrelated to Avast 5. It looks to related to networking specifically ndis.sys. Some people never have the problem while others can't get away from it. It is most likely hardware related IMO but no one knows for sure. Someone claimed MS knows about it and a hot fix is available by phone support only and the fix is part of SP1. I tried to locate where I read this but can't for the life of me find it. See Google search results http://www.google.com/search?q=ndis.sys+causing+high+DPC+latency

Bill
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

gzex

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2011, 05:07:31 AM »
That might be true and I don't doubt it.
However, I used many many firewalls and been running torrents for years, never seen this huge spikes with any of them.
OA is the one with similar problems (second to avast which is no.1 for sure) , but in OA it's not that huge , but it's large.
With Avast, after say 12hrs of usage you can't watch a movie anymore or listen to music, it is that high (DPC checker is all red with spikes over 8k)
Without using torrents , latency is normal , never goes above 120-130 , when you start using it, it slowly goes up and up, after hour or two it's 4k.
At that point sound starts to crack.

I mean, I'm not bashing Avast or anything, I'm using it and I want to use it, I like it's firewall, there is just this issue.

If what you said is true (hardware related) , how is it then that other firewalls are working fine, same setup, same OS, same everything.

It's something in Avast firewall driver / service.

gzex

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »
It's clearly avast driver , this is report from Latency Monitor :

One or more DPC routines that execute on behalf of drivers running in your system appear to be causing serious problems making your system unsuitable for processing real time audio. You are likely to experience audio dropouts, clicks and pops.
Time running:  0:02:37

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):  5946
Responsible driver:                       aswNdis2.sys  (avast! Filtering NDIS driver, AVAST Software)
DPC count (execution time <500 µs):       6363480
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):    18
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):  11754
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):  2955
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):     14717

silviucc

« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
Yes, I got the same while using LatencyMon. aswNdis2.sys was the top DPC routine execution time. The funny thing is that I do not use AIS' firewall, it's turned off, and that driver still does funny business in the background.

However, I'm going to suggest that maybe , just maybe, there might be something wrong with WPF (windows filtering platform) since, some people complained of high DPC latency issues with MSE and avast seems to use WPF.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »
Turning off the firewall won't stop the low level driver from running, though I don't know how it would be doing anything if the firewall is disabled.

If you aren't going to us it then you should uninstall it, Control Panel, Add remove programs, Avast, Change Remove, Change and uncheck the firewall module, click Next and OK your way out, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JoeB

« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »
I did some testing upon DPC Latency issues, seems there is something with Avast NDIS Firewall Filter Driver.

Windows 7 x64 Pro

Done with a Killer Xeno Pro, all tests are done by watching some videos on youtube, no bit torrent or p2p software installed on my system.

6.0.0.0 with the NDIS driver enabled, my first impression was that the Killer driver must be the cause.

So I tested a few drivers trough, and then it hit me to try disabling the NDIS driver all together.

6.0.0.0 with the NDIS driver disabled.

EDIT: To make sure I tried to remove AVAST and test with COMODO.
6.0.0.0 with COMODO's NDIS driver enabled.

Tool used: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

NOTE: This is with the older 6.0.0.0 Xeno driver, the most recent release makes it look even worse for AVAST.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:52:25 AM by JoeB »

Cako

« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »
Well, well, well when does this problem will end ?? :-X
My XP is still the same way ....
But I trust in AVAST, it is still the world's best.
End this problem,please..... ;)

YoKenny

« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
Well, well, well when does this problem will end ?? :-X
My XP is still the same way ....
But I trust in AVAST, it is still the world's best.
nd this problem,please..... ;)
No problem on my XP Pro system.  8)