Author Topic: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?  (Read 132118 times)

silviucc

Re: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2011, 01:03:22 AM »
Is that with or without a torrent downloading in the background YoKenny ?

JoeB

« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2011, 01:54:02 AM »
No problem on my XP Pro system.  8)
Your DPC latency is still pretty high, specially the peak.
Try to check it with LatencyMon

Check this ;) That is with Comodo's package
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:00:55 AM by JoeB »

YoKenny

« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »
Is that with or without a torrent downloading in the background YoKenny ?
No torrents for me!

YoKenny

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
No problem on my XP Pro system.  8)
See
NOTE: Because LatencyMon relies on ETW tracing it does not support any version or edition of Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon_os

Nesivos

« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
So, I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but after almost two months I finally found out what the real problem with avast.
It's called DPC (Deferred Procedure Calls).
look at the undeniable proof.

Photo 1:
this photo you can clearly see how the DPC is absurdly high, the problem appears only 9 hours after leaving the avast using the scan of P2P shield.
That's what causes the problem of sound and video on youtube and on the computer.
My home PC is connected to 6 days a week 24 hours a day is why I can feel these problems more than others that turn off your PC.
The DPC is extremely high and could have been much higher if I had done more testing for a few hours.

Photo 2:
This picture is clear and transparent what happens when i turn off all the shields of avast, the DPC returns to normal and no sound problems, end more, some times the mouse pointer jumping from one point to another in screen.
I think all avast is causing the high DPC only to be turned on and this problem its worse even more if you use P2P shield or full system scan.

Test the DPC latency.
if you want to test it on your PC just download the DPC Latency Checker in this link:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
dont need install just download end use,put your tests here,iam using Windows XP/sp3/1G Ram/processor 3.2 pentium 4.

Persistent problem.
this problem with DPC is going on since the final version of avast was launched.
No one from ALWIL want to resolve it, and the worst part is that it must have thousands of users with this same problem and they dont have faintest idea what is avast which is causing sound problems in they computers, sound problems,slow system and the mouse pointer jumping from one point to another in screen.
I do not recommend to exchange of antivirus, avast still the best in the world but version 5 still far from the high reputation of version 4.8.

Solution
If anyone knows the phone of David Copperfield or Houdini please call them to do a magic to FIX this problem.
developers not Seems to be worried with the largest issue of avast at all times.
I hope in the next verssion this error in DPC ends.

if you are a visitor you will only see the photos if you register on the forum, is free,easy end fast.

G-d do I love this website. :)  Seriously.

It is like going taking technology classes for free.

Anyway I downloaded the DPC Latency Checker and have it running.

So far all shows green below 500us.

Windows 7 HP x64 AIS 5.1.889 all real time shields working

Computer never off unless the my internet connection goes down, which is rare.

I will keep the DPC Latency Checker up for a while and see if if the bars move out of the green

By the way it is my understanding at this point that high DPC Latency can be due to a bad or corrupted Windows installation.

Maybe even outdated drivers.  Though I am not sure about this one. :)

Nesivos

« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »
;) will its good that you already find a solution

first time i use it, the dpc pointing driver that going mad

so what is the point testing it at AV?

what i think is, avast is security software and not a device driver

if there is interference try to observe what is the cause of it. and what is the proper testing.

;D example: can you try-out swimming so that you will be good boxer  ??? ???  ;D

its the same:
a testing for device driver,  you test it in security software and what you got? interference only and try put another AV it will be the same ratings.

sorry for my words!!! just a point of view

Best Regards!!

its OK,is your point of view,I respect that.
but avast has services installed on the PC and I think also has drivers.
its not a coincidence avast scan a file and DPC latency go almost  to max.
thanks fo reply.

Just ran a scan of my "L" Drive which is where I keep all my data files.

During the scan which took about a minute the latency actually dropped by over 50% for the entire scan.

I will now scan my audio and video files about 127 GB which are on an external USB HDD and see what happens.

If I don't post the results it means that there was no negative impact on the DPC during the scan

Nesivos

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »
There are exactly 2 users (two) here in this forum complaining about this symptom. Not more. So I refuse to believe that it is a bug in avast... considering the posts of those 2 users.

+1 ;D

Nesivos

« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
Hey wonderwrench: it can't be, that you don't have this problem. Cako says that it is a flaw in avast, consequently you must have this latency. If not, it's a bug.  ;D
Maybe you should request a bug-update from alwil?

It is a bug but it may or may not be an Avast 5 bug. It very well might be a device driver bug in a hardware device that causes a conflict with Avast 5.
wonderwrench tanks again end ignore this user it just mess it up.( Zyndstoff)
Network Interface Card its Ok end updated.
my computer is always updated with everything, that's why I'm not going back to using version 396.

Question: How do you check to see if your drivers are up to date? Windows update? System or motherboard manufacturer? Non of these will insure you have the latest drivers. What NIC does your PC have. The problem you are having could be related to any device driver on your PC. To find the cause people having this problem need to list the hardware in there systems and see if any are common to all having this problem.

You can try DriverMax.

I use it and it works great for me.

Their is a limitation of 2 driver downloads a day in their free version, however I have never found that to be a problem.

http://download.cnet.com/DriverMax/3000-18513_4-10572602.html

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
Nesivos, why sre you quoting stuff that is ten month's old, all this is just trying to bring your post count up  >:(

Nesivos

« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »
personally I I spent my time in the latest 27 hours doing tests on my computer.
I installed the Device Doctor and guess what, any driver needs to be installed or updated.
I uninstall Avast 5 end install Avast 4.8 (latest version)
Avast 4.8 - low DPC latency.
I uninstall avast 4.8 and install kaspersky.
kaspersky - low DPC latency.
I uninstall kaspersky and install AVG.
AVG - low DPC latency.
I uninstall AVG and install Avast 5 version 396.
Avast 5 version 396 - low DPC latency.
I uninstall Avast 5 version 396 end install Avast 5 version 462.
Avast 5 version 462 - very high DPC latency. >:(
when I deactivated the P2P shield scan - low DPC latency.
well, the only thing left to do its downgrade the drivers, but I will not do.
I'm using Avast 5 version462.

My sister's computer:
have the exactly same result.
her computer has a conf. completely different from mine.

Next version of avast.
I'll wait for the next version and see if the problem continues, I will create another topic again, end again,end again , end again, end again..........
thank for everything guys.

Just curious

Why are you messing with Avast 5.462?

That is ancient history.

Current Config

Windows 7 HP x64
Firefox 4.0b10
AIS 5.1.889 all real time shields running

Programs running

1.  Thunderbird
2.  Firefox with 7 tabs open
3.  AIS 5.1889 doing a full scan of of Video and Audio files 127 GB on an external USB HDD
4.  uTorrent running and downloading one file about 15 kB or so
5.  Playing one YouTube streaming video

DPC remains consistently under 500us at between 125us and 300us, though it did spike up to around 500us when the Youtube video began to download.  After that and for the duration of the video the DPC remained under 300us.  It was a musical video about 4:30 in length

However I did get one spike into the Red when "SystemRestoreCreation" was completing.    SRC is a third party application that allows you to back up your registry on Windows 7.   Windows 7 has no functionality to just back up the Registry so I use this program and run it daily using Windows Task Scheduler.

I just manually reran SRC.  The only difference this time is there was no Video playing.  I got the same Red spike when it finished. Just one bar when the program finished and popped up its small window indicating that the backup was complete and successful.

No biggie since this is a 3rd party program that runs only once a day and the Red DPC was only one bar when the program completed.  However, it is something that I may look further into. :)

Nesivos

« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Nesivos, why sre you quoting stuff that is ten month's old, all this is just trying to bring your post count up  >:(

Just like Amir Johnson aka "The Warrior" doesn't keep track of his points and rebounds I don't keep track of my post count. :) :)

The reason I quoted it is because I just found the thread and was adding my two cents on the posts.

Anyway I am now done with this thread unless I find some relevant problem with my DPC.

Later ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2011, 06:06:44 PM »

Just like Amir Johnson aka "The Warrior" doesn't keep track of his points and rebounds I don't keep track of my post count. :) :)

The reason I quoted it is because I just found the thread and was adding my two cents on the posts.

Anyway I am now done with this thread unless I find some relevant problem with my DPC.

Later ;D

Do you not see the date of the post's you are quoting, you just asked cako why he is using and ancient version  ??? the date of his post is 26/3/2010.

YoKenny

« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
Do you not see the date of the post's you are quoting, you just asked cako why he is using and ancient version  ??? the date of his post is 26/3/2010.
What do you expect from a user that uses a MITS Altair 8800 ???

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2011, 03:27:07 AM »
guess he not realized the bug was fixed long time ago ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

JoeB

« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
See
NOTE: Because LatencyMon relies on ETW tracing it does not support any version or edition of Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon_os
What does it have to do with XP and 2003???
Your signature shows that your on 7.....

My point is that Avast's NDIS driver conflicts with some NIC drivers not the other way.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:44:29 AM by JoeB »