Author Topic: sygate  (Read 9213 times)

lee16

sygate
« on: July 05, 2004, 07:01:02 PM »
hi,
i have just got a router with soho hardware firewall (thanks to everyone who explained about the hardware firewalls to me btw) and was told zonealarm is not very good with networks, so i uninstalled it and installed a free version of something called "sygate" and updated it, am i safe with this, or was zonealarm a better choice?.

--lee

honyak122

Re:sygate
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 10:54:14 PM »
Sygate is a very good Firewall, I have used it for well over a year now. I only recently installed a hardware FW (netgear). Sygate is a little less user friendly than Zonealarm, but still easy enough for the novice to work with. Very effective at what it does.

Good choice IMHO!

KezzerDrix

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 11:36:58 PM »
Far as freeware goes in my opinion it is the best.

test it here
http://www.grc.com/

Excellent security, great user interface, kinda techie at times.  Point and click kindness.  My favorite!

cousindave

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 11:39:03 PM »
I've been using Sygate for almost 3 years.
It's weathered many a knock at the door without letting anyone in. ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 12:02:40 PM »
CousinDave, what happened to your avatar I put my spare time in it ? Don't like it anymore ?  :'(
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 01:24:01 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

lee16

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:43:36 PM »
Ok thanks for that reasurence guys.

--lee

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 01:31:43 PM »
Lee16, your avatar is a way out of forum size standards... It shoud be maximum of 100x100 pixels large...

Here is smaller one, so you can upload it instead of your current one. Please do that, 'cause we all agreed not to use big avatars... we don't wanna flood servers, right ? :D

Thanks !

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 01:44:38 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

lee16

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 01:53:13 PM »
ok done, resized and changed by S.Z.Craftec , thanks man, and thanks to technical aswell for letting me no it was oversized, its nice to have a quick response so things can be corrected.

Sorry for any inconvenience when the avatar was bigger.

--lee

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 02:17:46 PM »
No problem at all, problem is solved with speed of light...  ;D

Enjoy !

lee16

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 03:17:20 PM »
Far as freeware goes in my opinion it is the best.

test it here
http://www.grc.com/

Ok i tryed that test site and as usual i got suspicious, so i uninstalled sygate and did the test again, and came up with the same results, then tryed the test with zonealarm to come up with the same results, even tho i am back using sygate i don't trust that security firewall check thing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 03:17:42 PM by lee16 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 03:49:45 PM »
Ok i tryed that test site and as usual i got suspicious, so i uninstalled sygate and did the test again, and came up with the same results, then tryed the test with zonealarm to come up with the same results, even tho i am back using sygate i don't trust that security firewall check thing.

Suspicious on what?
Both Sygate and ZoneAlarm passes the Shield's Up test...
You shoud trust on the firewall check. It works  :-\
The best things in life are free.

lee16

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 04:05:35 PM »
but it gave me the same results when i had no firewall running  :-\ , but since you have given me helpful info in the past, ill trust you here    ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 04:05:59 PM by lee16 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 07:46:26 PM »
but it gave me the same results when i had no firewall running

Two options:
Or you did a 'wrong' test or you do not have a well installed firewall.

Oh, I forgot the third, maybe Windows internal firewall was on and was so good to close all your ports... but I don`t think so  ::)
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 07:55:24 PM »
Or you also have a hardware firewall as well besides your software one... I've read about that... it can cause false test results... ask RejZor, I'm sure 100% he will tell you more than we on this one...

lee16

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 07:58:31 PM »
OMG, that must be it, i forgot about my hardware firewall, must be something to do with the fact that i have only had one for not quite a day lol, i didn't relise it would scan that aswell, thanks for that.

--lee