Author Topic: Avira AntiVir Professional AV10  (Read 10221 times)

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Avira AntiVir Professional AV10
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »
Personally unlike some here i don't hold my AV on a pedastool, to me it is simply a tool that i use to keep my PC safe, maybe folk here should try other security apps first before storming in & slaggin them off.

I'm an ex-Norton-NOD32-McAfee-AVG-Avira-Kaspersky user. Most people aren't here to lock themselves in one AV, its just that they -- no, we -- found avast! better than what we use before and simply had this charismatic performance to keep users amazed and loyal.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 10:51:55 PM »
Like most security suites, these versions contain the same core engine and features, but when you upgrade to the various paid versions you get additional features. The free version contains the main antivirus and antispyware engine, detection but not removal of rootkits, Netbook support for low-resolution monitors.

-1, That right there is a major disadvantage compared to other free avs.

There's scanning tech that can crack open "locked" files

+1 That seems useful since Avast! can't scan password protected files.

improved internal security to prevent AntiVir's files from being maliciously altered

Avast! already has I believe

and one-click threat removal--baby-sitting was taken out in the last version.

Avast! has automatic removal options now

In addition to those features, AntiVir Premium 10 introduces antiphishing protections, a download blocker to stop unwanted ''drive-by'' downloads, an e-mail scanner, Web guard, rescue CD creator, and a behavioral engine tuned to unknown threats.

-1, Avast! Free already scans emails and websites, and scans downloads anyway, and it has behavior monitoring.

I'll still stick with Avast! but I would probably switch to Avira over AVG.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 12:14:35 AM »
There's scanning tech that can crack open "locked" files

+1 That seems useful since Avast! can't scan password protected files.

That's nonsense... except for (stupid) exceptions, it's not possible to break most password protected archives within a reasonable time.