Author Topic: How Can You Stand This?  (Read 3147 times)

Ickyma

How Can You Stand This?
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
I'm almost 40 years old and there is no reason for me to be as computer illiterate as I am...
I use computers every day, although I feel dirty about it.  I really don't like them and I wish I didn't have to use them...

I once saw in a movie (Before Sunrise, I think it was) where one character says to the other:

"You never hear somebody say, 'You know, with the time I've saved using my word processor, I'm going to take the next 3 months off.'."

It's true.

Computers haven't really made my life that much easier... In fact, they've only made me do more work than ever before!!!

But it's a fact of life...  I simply MUST use them or be swallowed whole by the rest of the world....

so...  I use them.   And I am a pretty good "User"... I can learn various programs with relative ease...  No big deal.

It's all the technical stuff... It's all the Code stuff... it's all the Networking nuts and bolts stuff...  It's that stuff that just really makes my skin crawl.   I'd rather have a root canal than have to deal with all that stuff!!!

So... I have a couple of questions for the Savvy among us:

1)  WHY is there so much malware, trojans, viruses, worms, etc... out there?  WHY in the world do people make and spread this stuff?  There's really no way they can keep up with each and every computer that gets infected.  It's not a very surgical way of extracting data...   But beyond that...  there's the Moral question of WHY?  Are these programmers really devoid of a conscience?  Are they all sociopaths with no regard for their fellow man?

B)  How can you stand to spend so much time doing this kind of work?  I'm VERY grateful that you wear a white hat and use your powers for good...  But...  Mannnnnn.....  this stuff drives me nuts!  It's frustrating and takes away so much of my TIME.  Life is short, and I have to spend hours and hours and hours trying to fight these kinds of problems...   GAH!!!

:)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Re: How Can You Stand This?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 05:08:51 PM »
People make malware for money, just for fun or on purpose

But money is the most important thing.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »

Chris is right ... it's all about the money to be made.

And no, they have no conscience nor regard for for their fellow man.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »
Fighting malware shouldn't be all that stressful. Keep Windows updated, use a good firewall and AV (Avast!), a safer browser (Firefox or Opera), surf and have fun. In case all else fails, have a backup plan for easy recovery, like disk imaging software. :)

bong2x

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
 ;D in my point of view money is the common denominator of all of this  ;D

sometimes the programmer program the virus and program also anti-virus for that virus and spread it to the world

if you infected then you use there antivirus it will force you to buy it.

so much better avoid the newly build unknown security software. coz you are entitled also to be infected of newly build unknown virus ;D

if there is new built unknown software be ready of all infection ;D

fredvries

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:07:15 PM »
@ Ickyma: I understand your problem but why should it be a problem in the first place.

Compare a computer with your television set:You know how to switch it on and find the programs you want to watch but you don't know how everything inside works. Only the technician knows but he will nowadays simply change a printset in stead of really repairing your tv. Why would you want to know how programs are written or how they work? They work for you. That's important.  ;)