Author Topic: Avast 5 w/Webshield enabled and ZoneAlarm causes BSOD  (Read 11560 times)

mugen

Avast 5 w/Webshield enabled and ZoneAlarm causes BSOD
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »
I had Avast 5 Free (with all shields enabled) and with the latest version of ZoneAlarm installed. It was a brand new custom-built computer which includes Core i7 860, 8 GB DDR3 ram, and Windows 7 x64.  for 5 days, i couldn't figure out what was wrong. I tried disabling sleep, hdd sleep, and hibernation, but my computer would randomly shutdown or reboot with a blue screen. in event viewer, it was Kernel-Power event id 41. used memtest and it said there were no errors.

Then I recalled that I helped 2 of my friends with similar spec'd computers and installed Avast 5 Free with Webshield disabled and with ZoneAlarm installed. (both were new computers as well). i asked them if they experienced any blue screens or crashes. they said no.  so then I disabled the Webshield on my computer and for the past week, i havent had any more blue screens, crashes or reboots!

is there a webshield fix on the way?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast 5 w/Webshield enabled and ZoneAlarm causes BSOD
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:31:54 AM »
It is more likely a problem with ZoneAlarm.
I strongly suggest to use a hardware firewall.
Depending on how you connect, you may already have one if you use a router/(cable)modem
If you have such a device check the specifications.
If it has indeed a firewall, there is no need for a software firewall at all.
ZoneAlarm is known to cause all kinds of problems.
If you really need a software firewall I suggest Comodo.
It is a freeware one and very good.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 01:34:19 PM »
Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming

Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis. There is also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file.
Better if you can compress (zip) them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)

Besides Google also you can use:
MS knowledgebase: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
Error explanations: http://www.xptuneup.com/xptuneup_stopmessages.htm
BSODs: http://www.techmetica.com/howto/descriptions-and-fixes-of-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-crash-errors/
The best things in life are free.

biggerslickone

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:52:31 PM »
It is more likely a problem with ZoneAlarm.
I strongly suggest to use a hardware firewall.
ZoneAlarm is known to cause all kinds of problems.
If you really need a software firewall I suggest Comodo.

I had major issues with my XP 32 bit system with Zonealarm. It had been great until they sold the ZA company several years ago, then it got pretty bad. Over that first year after several updates I couldn't get on the net and after a particular one ZA didn't get along with my AVG, another app that went bad. I chucked ZA, got comodo and oper the last year or so, comodo got bad too with their updates and I am not the only one who had issues. One comodo update killed my XP system even booting up. After de-installing their neat firewall luckily in safe mode, I reinstated the windows one and boom my system got online. Then I checked comodo's forums and found people leaving in droves. I tried comodos email and anti virus and sure enough with their updates have found that while they have neat stuff, their release of bad automatic updates left my system consistently crippled and many other folks too. As for ZA and AVG, junk, all junk. AVG constantly had tons of false alarms and trashed a system file too. As for ZA, avoid them as well, not a nice company anymore, even their pro stuff.

Avast anti-virus so far has been swell. Too bad they don't have a simple free firewall.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:33:34 AM »
biggerslickone & Eddy,

Where do you get this FUD about ZA ???

I've tried just about every firewall there is & I always come back to ZA.

ZA is the one fw that doesn't cause problems & is easiest to use.

All software at times have bugs & bad versions.

I remember a few times a new version of avast! was released and avast!

engineers had to quickly bring out a new release with bug fixes.

ZA Free is the perfect mate to avast! Free. :)

biggerslickone

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
Whether ZA is or isn't,  ;D is not the point here. What is the point is that at one time ZA was a great stealth firewall. Then they sold it to the company and it tanked from there. I had several instances where it killed  :'( my internet connection, prevented my XP SP2 system from starting up and I had a pretty bare bones system at that and later found out it wasn't my system, but rather  ;) their software. I then tried comodo and found their updates to kill my net connection, which happened three times, the third also leaving me a BSOD except in safe mode to uninstall it. In fact their antivirus bundle also had issues with updates, even trashed like AVG once did, a system file. Again, comodo had issues like ZA and AVG (AVG many false alarms, even trashed a system file) have with their software updates, not my machine. It was their fault, not once in ZA's case, but a number of times. Yeah ZA has a great interface and when it works it does a great job, noticed I said "WHEN" it works, cause since I abandoned it, I have not had any net problems :o Have a nice day!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 11:13:14 PM »

Sorry, but imo you're wrong...! ;)
It can and does cause problems, even without avast...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

biggerslickone

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 11:20:44 PM »
Thanks for adding backup to what I have posted. ZA was great, not anymore. Their application got much worse, forces you into updates or even at times de-installs or deactivates itself leaving your system naked, has advertising at times and they on top of all of this have been said to make it purposefully have issues with other security apps. What is needed is a main FREE OPEN SOURCE firewall that works! If Avast provides a basic free firewall great, if not then an OS firewall would be welcome by many around the globe using the Windows system.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
mugen &  biggerslickone,

I don't think ZA or Comodo are your problems.

Your troubles are elsewhere.  

Follow Tech's post in this thread.

biggerslickone

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:31:49 PM »
mugen &  biggerslickone,

I don't think ZA or Comodo are your problems.

Your troubles are elsewhere.  

Follow Tech's post in this thread.

No you are dead wrong! In all the cases of a crashed system or other issues, the forum posts at the ZA, Comodo and AVG sites indicated that the issues were wide and far with many other users, which thus throws the blame back on those companies and their products. The truth is ever since ZA was sold to the new company, it went downhill with a number of Mickey Mouse issues added too. It was not my machine's fault, and many former users will confirm this. The fact that ZA has a mental lock on you and your computer system illustrate you are in a state of total computer software denial. I deal in reality. The reality was that removing their horrible bug ridden software restored my computer to a fully functional working status and that of many other users as well, so please try not to shove ZA's propaganda down my throat. Their software is these days, glitzy junk and anyone who has not yet experienced a BSOD, partial start-up and lockup, or unable to access the web will concur. Have a nice  >:(  day!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:34:28 PM by biggerslickone »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 11:37:02 PM »

asyn

Asyn,

Why do you Comodo fanboys always want to cause trouble ???

What do you have to gain by FUD?  Does Comodo pay you?

As a long time user of ZA, why don't I experience the FUD?

I've tried the evil dragon four times & will never again put Comodo

on another computer.

biggerslickone

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »

asyn

Asyn,

Why do you Comodo fanboys always want to cause trouble ???

Nobody's a fanboy of anything. We just want something that works and doesn't force you into updates or deactivate as ZA has done, and doesn't kill your net connection, and doesn't BSOD like ZA does
and doesn't partially crash your system so it doesn't load all the way. ZA gave me that, ZA gave many folks those issues. ZA has gained a nasty net reputation and all he or most everyone else wants is something that works. ZA for many folks at one time or another stiffed their systems. If anyone is a fanboy, it would have to be yourself since ZA no matters how much it has caused pain for many users, can do no wrong in your eyes. ZA is a corporate owned JUNK product these days and deserves to be explained as that to the world wide community so they don't suffer as others users and I did at one time or another. Comodo is just as bad and AVG gives false alarms and trashes systems too. Have a nice day!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:28 PM »
1. Why do you Comodo fanboys always want to cause trouble ???
2. What do you have to gain by FUD? 
3. Does Comodo pay you?
4. As a long time user of ZA, why don't I experience the FUD?

1. There're no fanboys here..! Maybe you're a ZA fanboy..!?? ;D
2. Nothing.
3. No.
4. Be happy, if it works well for you, still many others have troubles....
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:56:23 PM »
Sometimes we get people in here who claim avast is blocking their

internet and some other things that avast doesn't do.

My point is that some jump to conclusions prematurely.

It would be wise to follow Tech's post.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 12:06:32 AM »
1. Sometimes we get people in here who claim avast is blocking their internet and some other things that avast doesn't do.
2. My point is that some jump to conclusions prematurely.
3. It would be wise to follow Tech's post.

1. True.
2. Also true.
3. Once again true...!
asyn