Author Topic: PerfectDisk 11 and Avast! IS 5 conflict.  (Read 16547 times)

mickeymkd

PerfectDisk 11 and Avast! IS 5 conflict.
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:55:32 PM »
When i run Boot Time defragmentation with PerfectDisk11 i get BSOD when Avast! Internet Security 5 is installed. Is there a way to completely disable Avast so it doesnt start when i use Boot Time defragmentation or some other solution?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: PerfectDisk 11 and Avast! IS 5 conflict.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:05:47 AM »
Were there any minidump files created for those BSODs? (in C:\Windows\Minidump folder)
If yes, please pack a few recent ones into an archive and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
Thanks.

Ronnie_USA

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »
I have all most the same problem, except I don't get a blue screen.
Windows says it didn't start right and try's to repair system files, and then fails at doing that.
The only option is to power down, if you do that, and ignore the system message about the improper start up message and start windows normal it will boot into windows.
You can Not do an offline defrag of system files with Perfectdisk 11 and Avast Internet Security installed.
Works fine with the free version of Avast. 

Flyrfan111

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 05:02:02 PM »
I get the same BSOD with PD10 as well. It says there is a possible driver conflict. After selecting Start Windows with the last known good configuration, the computer starts and still attempts to run the defrag but then says, unable to gain exclusive access to Drive C.

Ronnie_USA

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:02:52 PM »
I get the same BSOD with PD10 as well. It says there is a possible driver conflict. After selecting Start Windows with the last known good configuration, the computer starts and still attempts to run the defrag but then says, unable to gain exclusive access to Drive C.
Avast must some how lock the system files so they can't be moved is all I can think of.

zfactor

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »
no issues for me with win 7 and pd11 and avast internet security

Flyrfan111

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »
Maybe it's just a Vista problem then, using Home premium here, all updates and SPs applied

Ronnie_USA

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
Maybe it's just a Vista problem then, using Home premium here, all updates and SPs applied
It's a Windows 7 problem to.
My Os is Win 7 x64, and it's not working right together.

Flyrfan111

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
Then I guess zfactor is just lucky then

zekeblue

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 03:35:17 PM »
Perhaps some exclusions need to be made?  Either exclude the Avast folder from PerfectDisk or don't have Avast scan files opened by PerfectDisk or both.

I'm new enough to AIS and have not yet seen how to add an exclusion/exception.  Hopefully it is there!

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »
No issue at all!
I've tried Perfect Disk 11 for a day and no problem at all!
I can see the performance coming also :)

slk2k

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 05:13:15 AM »
I am fleeing Avira v10 and am demo-ing Avast 5 and am having the same troubles (but with PerfectDisk 10). I too am using Win7 (Ultimate x64). If I perform a boot-time defrag of my C drive, I also get a BSOD. I had to uninstall Avast5 to run the defrag.  Normal defrags are no problem. 

Unless I can find a solution, this will be a deal-breaker for me.  Other than this one issue, I very much like avast5!

slk2k

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
I sent off a request to Raxco about this and received the following reply:

Thanks for contacting support.

We are aware of the issue and we have reported it to Avast Support. They are currently testing it now.

zekeblue

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »
In Perfectdisk, try excluding the Avast folder.  In PD11 it is under Drive Properties.

slk2k

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
In Perfectdisk, try excluding the Avast folder.  In PD11 it is under Drive Properties.

I'm up for anything reasonable, but I fail to see how a boot-time defrag of Windows system files (pagefile, hibernation, etc) and the folder where avast is stored have anything in common.  The root cause is that perfectdisk cannot lock the drive because something else is loaded first.  Regular scans outside of the boot-level defrag work just fine and without problems.

Knowing that Raxco is aware of it, that Avast has been notified and are working on it was all I was looking for at this point.