Author Topic: Recovery Disk doubts  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Recovery Disk doubts
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »
I just wanted to help my friend with Vista Basic on Acer laptop who cannot log in to his a/c because he receives a BlueScreen of Death

He has many important files on his HardDisk

Is there any way to fix is PC by using a recovery cd?

Will he loose his important files

jrehner

Re: Recovery Disk doubts
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
This is likely not the correct forum for your friend's issue and I don't know anything about Vista operating system (OS)---I believe when u get that screen, it's your hard drive that u don't have access to and the hard drive got corrupted. I have Windows xp pro and if the corruption is not really bad u have the option to repair XP and then u don't lose the files on the hard drive--but if u have to do a new install of the OS u will lose it all....If your friend makes use of some sort of backup then it wouldn't matter as once he installs the os again along with all his apps he can restore the files from the backup.

A recovery CD is created before the problem exists as I recollect and so if he has that which is an emergency boot then he can hopefully gain access to the hard drive to save the data files on an external drive etc
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:11:16 PM by jrehner »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
I have been in this forum for some time and this kind of questions can be asked under the General Topics  ;D

Edited:

Actually Avast detected a virus in one of his system files and he deleted it.

I was just asking if there is any other ways to fix it without formatting the HD because he has got some important files on it

The Repair Option can be selected but it gets stuck while doing the repair

Safe mode also don't work
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:09:40 PM by Chris Thomas »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »
Chris,

"For getting the required files when windows is unbootable."

Grab a linux live cd > boot from it > mount the required windows drive > copy all the files you need to portable disk.

nmb

bong2x

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »
there is network boot or dual boot or cd boot

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
@nmb

Your idea is great.

Edited:

I was thinking about this but I am not sure on a laptop

So, I am safe to use Ubuntu  ???

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
ubuntu is around 700 Mb. better one (runs from ram, around 75 MB, more tools - drive image creator and stuff. check out) : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-parted-magic-flash-drive-creation-windows/

nmb

jrehner

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I modified my original response and so u might look there again---it sounds like the system file that was deleted was important to the bootup--that would likely be on an recovery cd if one was made previously--he could also create an emergency bootup disk by using another computer to download recovery info onto a floppy etc--as I recollect that typically consists of the chipset drivers etc--I would contact Acer with the OS info and features and see if they have an emergency bootup disk--if the laptop if fairly new, it also may have come with an emergency bootup disk

Oops forgot it was a laptop and so likely there is no floppy drive which leaves CD--if there is an emergency boot on CD then that would be the ticket---

Oh and the problem that caused the issues---bad ram--one stick bad and the other while testing good was still bad
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:33:10 PM by jrehner »