Author Topic: Internet Security 5.0 just purchased and Firewall doesn't work  (Read 9447 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Internet Security 5.0 just purchased and Firewall doesn't work
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »
I did not say that I knew it better. I wanted to learn something.
Thx for explanation.
If that is so, then you are correct of course.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

GlarYoMama

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »
I just installed and installed and reinstalled this program avast! Internet Security 5.0 licensed for 3PCs. Everytime the program gives you a warning the firewall doesn't work.  I open the user interface, tell it to FIX NOW, nothing happens. It's like a dummy button.  So I click the tab for the firewall, tell it to START nothing happens, another dummy button. 

There is an issue with this and I've tried everything to fix this, but there is obviously a flaw.  I followed all links in the email from avast! to install the product.  I need help here because I'm not getting a very quick response from technical support.  I'm wondering if I made a mistake by upgrading to the full paid version!

Running XP SP3
2.93 GHz
2 GB Ram
Not sure if the program is 32 or 64 bit program installation.
Program version: 5.0.462
Virus definitions version: 100325-1

Hi sandra, I'm having the exact same issue, and am running the same version of avast software.

My Sys: 4g mem, X2 5400, Nvidia IGP,  XP - Home sp3 new install devoid of addtl applications (yep its 32 bit, spare me trolls) - patched to current (as of Tuesday this week) and then the "upgrade" to isav5.

I get same lame behaviour in the main program as you have noted.  I have noticed that all the other modules of the program "appear" to work. only the firewall module is borked.  If you uncheck the firewall selection in settings - traymonitor (or whatever the heck that orange ball gizmo is) avast seems to get very happy.  (however since the firewall module IS borking and NO one has as much as answered any TT I have submitted I've no real way of knowing if avast is even functioning properly in the remaining modules).

I've tried 'add/remove programs' -> avast -> fix installation with the same results as "fix me" in the main menu (IE: zero )
I then tried turning off the windows based firewall and re-ran 'add/remove prog' -> avast -> fix installation  and got a "loading firewall module" message. however still no joy with the firewall enable.

I have tried removing and installing isav5 a total of 5 times (with and without windows firewall enabled) STILL no joy (umm does anyone recall the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again - expecting a different result?).  Yes I've tried that stupid uninstaller program (funny it seems to run the same way regardless of whether or not there was an avast install - curiouser and curiouser).

IF i can be assured the rest of the program is functional - I'd be willing to temporarily use the windoze firewall - in lieu of a proper fix.
IF theres anyone out there who HAS managed to get this pig running on a similar system / install perhaps you'd be willing to share your list of running services.
IF tech support would show signs of life and not continue pretending theyre /dev/null
well that would be nice... or maybe next week I can see if my cc underwriter will bounce the charge and get something else.

good luck I think we'll all need it.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 07:32:25 AM »
@ Sandra 3427
@ GlarYoMama

Probably best for you to provide the forum with a HijackThis log. Show us yr running gear.
Not the most intensive of tests, but does provide a good overview, and some here are expert at HjT analysis.

You probably already know how to do this, but just in case -

Click here – (will take direct to download)
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/download/8571e06e5eb8ab03c649f3b5d647c599/

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file to this thread. If it is too large you may have to post in two parts.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear