Author Topic: My Antivirus hangs completely even after restart, this the second time  (Read 2377 times)

Linkup

Hie, 2 weeks ago Avast blocked a PUP and it was set to automatically delete any infection. After taking this action my system hanged and i restarted but to my surprise my AV said i was unsecured and its staus was unknown, after trying everything form system restore to updating, it wouldnt turn on, till today when i connected to the net then it turned on after updating though i could initiate the updating. Scanned my PC and there is nothing. There is a bug there somewhere, please help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
First deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

There may well have been more than one piece of malware at work here.

System Restore is unfortunately not 100% and can have unexpected consequences when used.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Personally having used system restore I would reinstall avast to ensure that you have a good install.
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.462 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.
- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Linkup

Well i tried repairing Avast even in safe mode but it didnt work. I had 4.8 but i updated to 5.0. I would have suspected malware but since there wasnt any malware after a scan, i suspected its the program. Well another question is y then did it activate after it downloaded an update when i went online.  ???. In the previous engine before 462, it actually used to say AvastUI has stopped working. maybe i should upload the app data from my log files........

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As I said, having used system restore that in itself could have unexpected consequences, so by far the best thing now and possibly the quickest it to do the clean reinstall as I have laid out above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security