Author Topic: Quick question about options when virus is detected.  (Read 2377 times)

niccychiccy

Quick question about options when virus is detected.
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:37:17 AM »
Hi,

Whenever avast detects a trojan when im surfing the web it only ever gives me the option to "Abort Connection", which i click. On my parents computer they get the "delete" and "put in the chest" options.
Is there some setting i should be changing on avast to get the other options; is it okay to just abort will this get rid of the trojan??

Thanks for any help!
Nicole

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
Re: Quick question about options when virus is detected.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
Avast have 7 real time shields. When ever you got a trojan during surfing, you will get alerts from Web Shield. It has two settings
It may automatically abort that malicious connection or ask you about this.
Whenever Avast detects a threat in local drive or removable drive, you get alarts from File System Shield. It gives you options like No Action/Repair/Move to chest/Delete, or you may set it to do a predefined decision.
Again if Avast detects Threat in Email Client/P2P Cient/Instant Messenger, it will show similar alerts like File System Shield due to Mail Shield, P2P Shield and IM Shield respectively. So, there is no way you can customize Web Shield like those others. This is because Avast detects threats in those cases because they were already present and in this case it is ABOUT to be downloaded.
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:04:39 AM »
No worries. Avast aborted (blocked) the connection before the trojan could get on your system. If the trojan was on your system, Avast would give you the option to delete, move to chest, etc.:)

niccychiccy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:22:53 AM »
thanks heaps. that makes things clearer. i was worried i maybe hadn't installed or set it up correctly.

Cheers  :)

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:52:01 AM »
You're welcome. :)