Author Topic: Avast Free not asking what to do despite settings  (Read 3145 times)

MossyRock

Avast Free not asking what to do despite settings
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:11:35 AM »
I've installed the latest version of Avast Free on a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit system and am puzzled why it is not asking the user what to do when it encounters a suspicious email.

In EVERY shield, where there is an action option setting, I have it set to ASK as the first setting, move to chest as the second, delete as the third.

Silent Mode is OFF (both Silent Mode options are UNCHECKED).

For example, an email came in that triggered an email heuristic and there was no notification to the user - Avast just deleted the contents of the email and left a stub of an email in the inbox with the subject indicating what the problem was.

What am I missing here?  

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:15:41 AM by MossyRock »

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Avast Free not asking what to do despite settings
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:40:11 AM »
Hi,

avast! 5.0 Free version will only remove the package which attached on your file which infected with virus or malware.

You may see the configuration at : avast! 5.0 GUI -- Real Time Shield -- Mail Shield -- Click Expert Settings button -- Go to Actions tab -- under there you may see " Processing of infected archives : " , then you may try to configure as you need

Please see attached file...
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

MossyRock

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »
Hi Yanto,

Thank you for your reply.  However, this isn't an infected archive we're dealing with - they are just regular email attachments that triggered a heuristic.  You also said that there isn't an "ASK" option for the mail shield.

For the system I'm having trouble with, here are screen shots of the mail shield settings for Virus and Suspicious.  Both have an "ASK" option available, and I've set both to "ASK".

It should be asking the user what to do, but it is not.

MossyRock

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »
Hi,

Does anybody have any ideas here?  Would upgrading to a paid version help? 

Thanks.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »
I would also be interested in the response you requested. Being as "Ask" is an option with this software...what's up. ???
Curious. 8)

Mele20

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 03:42:39 AM »
I am also interested in the answer.  I have Mailshield set to ask also.

Wolfsbane

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I was thinking of upgrading from 4.8 to 5 of the free avast home edition but after reading the situations other users have found themsleves in plus a none response to a question in Support I am staying with ver 4.8, at least it works fine -until this lot sort out the problems and bugs in version 5 although I get the feeling they are unable or unwilling to do so as I don't see much help from the "support" area on these problems with solutions or patches.  >:(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »
You're system, you're choice, but don't lose sight of the fact that the people that come to a support forum aren't those that have made the switch without problem.

I have set all the shields that I use to Ask as the first option and that is working as indicated, so I don't know why this might be happening or what the contents of the email would have been before it was scanned, so I couldn't comment on it.

So if this isn't the non response to a question, then ask it in a new or related topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MossyRock

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »
The email client involved with this issue is Thunderbird 2.0.0.23.

The email that was not handled per settings contained attachments that were the result of an Outlook 2007 email client breaking apart, upon reply, the original email signature's logo graphic .gif file (and associated html) and the data block html into two files, and attaching them to the reply instead of replying back with an intact html email message.

This happens when an html email containing an html signature gets processed by certain email clients, especially if they are are replying back in plain text as opposed to html.  

Avast's heuristic that was triggered was a result of the filenames not matching the contents of the files, thus being regarded as "suspicious".

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:56:48 PM by MossyRock »