Author Topic: Can't Run In Safe Mode - Avast! 5.0.462  (Read 6590 times)

Philo

Can't Run In Safe Mode - Avast! 5.0.462
« on: March 30, 2010, 01:19:58 AM »
Hey everybody, hope all is well,

Last night I downloaded Avast! 5.0.462. free home version Previously I had Avast! 4.8

Right out of the gate it said my security center couldn't monitor my new anti-virus, so that was in the red until the new time I booted.
Now today, I went into safe mode with the intent of running a full system scan, but I cannot access Avast! from safe mode. Instead I get this:

"Unable to scan. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper."

I have no idea what's up with this. Can someone help me out. Every so often I like to run a full system scan in safe mode.
On a side note, I was able to run a full scan with malwarebytes, with no problems found.

I dig the new layout and interface, but I really want the new Avast! to at least be able to do what 4.8 could.

Thanx,
Philo

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Can't Run In Safe Mode - Avast! 5.0.462
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:00:07 AM »
Hi Philo

'Right out of the gate...' - you mean before you rebooted and/or before you ran updates (avast or Windows)
You will need to reboot or run updates before the new antivirus is recognised by yr system

So Security Center is now monitor yr new antivirus?

Also, 'Unable to scan. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper'

Are you working with distributed (RPC) environment - as well, Safe Mode itself may not be available
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940544.aspx

If you disconnect from network / internet environment then boot into Safe Mode and try run scan?

Otherwise you can search yr issue
http://www.bing.com/search?q=There+are+no+more+endpoints+available+from+the+endpoint

Or try Google
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Philo

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:55:07 AM »
Sorry mkis,
What I mean by "right out of the gate" is that I downloaded the program and updated it, but the built in security center that comes with windows vista said it couldn't recognize the new anti-virus. THAT problem seems to have corrected itself after a shut-down/restart. If the security center doesn't recognize your Av software, it will "red Shield" you until your turn it off or correct. So for that at least, problem now solved.

I can use Avast! 5.0.462 without any problems if I just run it in regular use mode. What happens now is that when I put my PC into Safe Mode, I cannot run Avast! at all. It gives me the error comment I posted above. I can run all my other stuff fine, like malwarebytes, Ccleaner, etc. Avast! is my only real-time AV program, and with 4.8 free home edition, I could run it in Safe Mode.

I was considering just uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but that's kind of a pain in the butt. Would like to resolve this issue without having to resort to that.
I will check out your links.
Thank You,
Philo

Philo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:00:35 AM »
Oh I forgot to add in my reply. I am just running my house desktop, hooked to the internet through DSL. How can I tell if I'm in an RPC?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:38:50 AM »
Yes sometimes reboot itself may not be enough - and may have to cold reboot (shut down..wait..reboot) before the Security Center will recognise yr avast! antivirus.

It seems that the new release will not run in Safe Mode, but wait for a second opinion on that. We don't normally run scans that often ourselves unless we suspect something funny is going on the system.

I'm not sure about yr screen message - 'Unable to scan. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper' - which I think is more common to a networked environment.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Philo

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:17:34 AM »
yeah, a re-boot solved the security center recognition problem.

"It seems that the new release will not run in Safe Mode,"

So, are you aware of others having the same issue? I will seriously consider replacing Avast! as my primary AV software if I cannot run it in safe mode. I hope that is not the case.
Thanx for the prompt response. Please let me know if there are any further developments with the safe mode issue and I will post any changes here.
Philo

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:46:38 AM »
It seems that the new release will not run in Safe Mode, but wait for a second opinion on that. We don't normally run scans that often ourselves unless we suspect something funny is going on the system.

I have been able to replicate yr screen message - 'Unable to scan. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper' - is generated when scan is unable to start. You will have to wait for report on why this message reads as it does.

There are a lot of programs that cannot run in Safe Mode. You may be able to strip yr avast of some functions and it will run in Safe Mode like that. But in Safe Mode, everything looks to be turned off as it is.

olddog

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
It seems that the new release will not run in Safe Mode, but wait for a second opinion on that.

Second Opinion: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57476.msg484687#msg484687