Author Topic: How do I get free version 5 to ignore a particular executable?  (Read 3224 times)

Janet Chu

How do I get free version 5 to ignore a particular executable?  I've tried adding its directory to settings/exclusions, but it still hits on the .exe when it runs. 

TIA

Janet

baudav

Re: How do I get free version 5 to ignore a particular executable?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:22 AM »
Test to add it in files agent exclusion; and exclude it for Read,Write,Run

Janet Chu

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:37:08 AM »
Thanks, I put it there, we'll see how it goes  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »
The best option isn't to treat the symptom but the disease.

If you have a file that avast is alerting on and you feel the detection is incorrect you shouldn't exclude:
1. Confirm the detections is good or otherwise, using virustotal, see ~~~ below.
2. If only avast detects it then report is to avast as a false positive, see ### below.
3. then exclude until a VPS correction resolves the false positive.

That way you correct the true problem and that not only helps you but all other avast users that migh also be using this executable.

~~~
Check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the File System Shield scanning any file you put in that folder.

###
If only GData and avast detect it - GData uses avast as one of its two scanners so counts as 1 detection and almost certainly an FP.
Send the sample to avast as a False Positive:
Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update.

- In the meantime (if you accept the risk), add it to the exclusions lists:
File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add and
avast Settings, Exclusions
Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the File System Shield and avast Settings, exclusions lists.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security