Author Topic: Norton firewall  (Read 5018 times)

lee16

Norton firewall
« on: July 06, 2004, 03:20:15 PM »
hi,
my freind has offered me Norton personal firewall 2003, if i accept this and install it will it run fine with avast? , or should i stick with sygate (free).

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Norton firewall
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 03:52:19 PM »
Sygate is usual more compatible with avast than any Symantec (Norton) product.

Are you talking about NIS (Norton Internet Security suite) or just the firewall... NIS includes NAV (Norton Antivirus) which, of course, is not compatible with avast.

You're changing and changing your firewall, what's up?
(http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5759)
The best things in life are free.

Tipton

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 04:11:22 PM »
I agree with Technical, make sure NAV is not part of the firewall. As far as using just the norton firewall, I would try a different one. I tried the Norton firewall once, and it is quite bloated. It actually slowed my surfing some. Sygate, or Zone alarm free work great with Avast!

Douglas

lee16

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 04:15:05 PM »
Are you talking about NIS (Norton Internet Security suite) or just the firewall... NIS includes NAV (Norton Antivirus)

Im just talking about the firewall on its own, i no about antiviruses conflicting with each other  ;D

You're changing and changing your firewall, what's up?

well belive it or not untill recently i only knew about antivirus and antispyware scanners, firewalls are new to me, so im trying to find the best 1 for me, with decent protection, and the sceptic in me says a paid product (even tho it will be given to me) will be better then a free one, and since this thorey of mine had only been proved wrong in 1 case (avast being the best antivirus and being free at the same time) i still tend to belive it.

P.S. this would be alot easyer if avast would make a firewall i could use, then i would no im getting top notch protection.

well and a spywear scanner..........lol  :P

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 07:44:34 PM »
The sceptic in me says a paid product (even tho it will be given to me) will be better then a free one, and since this thorey of mine had only been proved wrong in 1 case (avast being the best antivirus and being free at the same time) i still tend to belive it.

I can prove in many cases that such theory could be wrong.
ZoneAlarm (or Sygate) free is better than a lot of paid firewalls, at least, do the same for free.

Well, about avast, wellcome this is the paradise  8)

P.S. this would be alot easyer if avast would make a firewall i could use, then i would no im getting top notch protection.

well and a spywear scanner..........lol

Few will agree with you.
After some time we will have a bloatware-all-in-one-systemworks-like-big-brother-application that tries to do well everything but does nothing well. We have a lot of sad examples in such way...  :-\

Let everyone does the best of itself. Layered defense and not all the eggs at the same box...  ;)

lee16

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 07:51:23 PM »
Let everyone does the best of itself. Layered defense and not all the eggs at the same box...

i have no idea what that means, but im sure you are right.............lol

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 08:01:20 PM »
Layered defense: one program for each need, a firewall, a antivirus, a spychecker, a spamkiller...
No an all-in-one. If the all-in-one fails you get everything opened, stolen...
The other you can choose your guns: one different to another.
The programmers could do their best at the 'little' part and not leave big holes at the big all-in-one-security application...

Did I make myself a little bit more clear?

lee16

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 08:11:36 PM »
Yes that is much clearer, sorry about that i get confused when i read things from time to time.

OK, here we go, i am using

Win98 SE (all updates)
SOHO hardware firewall
Sygate (free)
Avast pro (trile at the moment)
Spy sweeper (free)
ad-ware (free)
Spybot
Bazooka spyware
Panicware pop up stoper (paid 1, but i get it free with blueyonder)
Trend micro and RAV online scanners from time to time.

Sound ok?  ???

P.S. could you suggest a good free spamkiller please

--lee
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 08:18:18 PM by lee16 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 10:53:31 PM »
P.S. could you suggest a good free spamkiller please

Free? I did not find anything else better than Spamihilator.
A 'plugin' that works integrated with any pop3/smtp email client (for instance, Outlook Express, Pegasus, etc.).
You can see its configurations to work with avast here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=3413

Go there, please, and ask if you cannot set it + your email program + avast to work togheter.