Author Topic: Avast internet security program stopped and will not restart?  (Read 6095 times)

tasuser

Hello to all,

My internet security program has stopped and will not start again. Not sure where to start, i have Windows XP running on Samsung X20 notebook. My Avast current status is "unsecured" and the "fix now" tab does not correct the problem, if fact it seems to do nothing. I have and "urgent notice" saying that my avast service has stopped and again the tab to "start program" does not appear to do anything. Basically i can not get my avast to work.

The only changes that i have made recently on my computer was to do a system restore because i installed a Oregon Scientific weather station program and wanted to remove all traces of it because it froze my computer.

thanks in advance to anyway who can give me guidance

jones28s

Another Avast internet security program stopped and will not restart?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:22:58 AM »
Hello all.  I seem to be having the same problem.  Avast services will not start up.  When I try to start them manually, I get an error.  All other issues the same as tesuser, except that I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  Could not get it to reinstall until I disabled the "Avast Community" option during setup.  Reinstall had no affect on issue.

Current engine and virus definitions show "Unknown".  Current program version is 5.0.462.

I hope someone has an idea

darth

Re: Avast internet security program stopped and will not restart?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »
tasuser, try the following: control panel>adminstrative tools>services> avast antivirus>click start.

tasuser

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »
Thanks Darth,

tried that and got a message that the service started and then stopped. So, unfortunately still not going. Basically at the moment i guess it is effectively doing nothing for me.

When i try to perform a quick scan i get a message "Unable to start scan. There are no more endpoints from the endpoint mapper." Not sure if that helps.

Where would i turn next to seek assistance. Avast direct. I think they are Czech.

regards to all

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:06:57 PM »
Have you all tried repairing avast by going to Add & Remove programs select Avast and select REPAIR?

zoom

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
Hi, everyone

I already posted the same strange Avast behaviour in this topic : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56897.15... I don't want to be spiteful, but starting again and again threads about the same problem on forum, makes big mess on this forum.
Sometimes better is to check by using "Search" on forum before posting ;)