Author Topic: HOW-TO: Avast4Linux doesn't work with latest VPS ("cannot initialize, invalid")?  (Read 163335 times)

VioppyEssep

HOW TO Avast4Linux doesnt work with latest VPS 100328 1 and later
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 07:37:50 AM »
Ok, Im completely new to Linux, but I managed to get Audacity installed, but when I try to play something theres no sound.  I know my sound card works, because Rhythmbox is working perfectly.  Do I need to configure it or something?  How do I do that?  Im running Linux Mint 8, btw.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: HOW TO Avast4Linux doesnt work with latest VPS 100328 1 and later
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
Ok, Im completely new to Linux, but I managed to get Audacity installed, but when I try to play something theres no sound.  I know my sound card works, because Rhythmbox is working perfectly.  Do I need to configure it or something?  How do I do that?  Im running Linux Mint 8, btw.

Isn't avast-related, but in general - all those bloats can be best analysed using strace -f, and you will see what device (instead of the proper DSP one) was accessed. Then, locate it in config files/try to modify configuration to get it work properly.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

frankcox458

Re: HOW-TO: Avast4Linux doesn't work with latest VPS (100328-1 and later)?
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 06:17:50 AM »
For those using Puppy Linux 431 this worked for me.

Just copy the command posted to rc.local . It is all that is there but everything works now but the desktop,sh file so I drug avastgui to the desktop and it opens fine that way.

Thanks for the tip!

As far as the problem with Audacity I suspect you need to tell audacity where your sound card is. I have it in Puppy and Ubuntu 9.04 and no worries.

nacho32

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »
Why do I have to something to make this product work with Ubuntu 9.10?  This is most annoying!  I didn't break the product but, in order to continue to use it, I now have the responsibility to fix it?  That's kind of screwed up don't you think?  I'm sure that there are those who would argue with me about this point.  Prior to consider doing so think about what this kind of problem does to and for newbie Linux users.

This solution is fine for those of us who are used to "playing around under the hood".  Fix the product not the user.

Regards,

YukonGuy
I could not agree with you more will stay with BT-defender until they fix their broken software

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
Hallo,
nothing is "brokend" and there's no fixing. Just the memory requirements of the virus database are continuously rising, and the (nonsensual) historical limit on some systems, 32MB, isn't sufficient.

There's no need to fix anything, just tell your system that you will need more. See the first sticky post. Because avast4 workstation is per-user installable app, it shouldn't silently modify system-wide settings (and mustn't, we're on unix).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

frogdos

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »
thanks for that, zilog. I edited the rcS file (echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax) as you suggested and avast now works fine on my #! statler machine.

TomLovesPat

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »
Hello All,

The Updates for Unbuntu have 'caused' this problem to reccur. I found that the /etc/init.d/rcS
file gets replaced periodically.

Thanks to this forum I have had no problem fixing the file each time by following zilog's suggestions
found earlier in this and other posts.

Thanks to to all of the moderators and others who help us beginners.

Best Regards, ;D
Tom

zekemx

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »
Today I downloaded the new ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for linux and I was amazed to see it's GUI, The GUI looks great and fast and it also removed 6 viruses from a friends Windows Hard Drive. (I was using Linux to scan it)

But after NOD32 finished I ran Avast for Linux.

I was amazed to se that Avast detected and cleaned a windows rootkit that NOD32 did not even noticed.

I would love to see Avast for linux on pair in features to the windows version of Avast.. I would definitely buy it.

Extra protection is very important for me. I am relly thinking of buying NOD32 and have that extra protection with Avast for linux.

Does Avast for Linux has Spyware detection too?.

Regards

bradski

I actually got the "Avast cannot initialize, invalid argument" error in fedora 15.

The fix using this command worked for fedora 15:

echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

I also added it to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

no more problems ... avast updates and runs like a champ.

Thanks!

simonmcnair

if you're using Ubuntu the bestway to modify sysctl is via /etc/sysctl.conf and add the line
kernel.shmmax=128000000

soltaran

Create a text file called 30-avast in /etc/sysctl.d with the kernel.shmmax=128000000 as the only entry.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Today I downloaded the new ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for linux and I was amazed to see it's GUI, The GUI looks great and fast and it also removed 6 viruses from a friends Windows Hard Drive. (I was using Linux to scan it)

But after NOD32 finished I ran Avast for Linux.

I was amazed to se that Avast detected and cleaned a windows rootkit that NOD32 did not even noticed.

I would love to see Avast for linux on pair in features to the windows version of Avast.. I would definitely buy it.

Extra protection is very important for me. I am relly thinking of buying NOD32 and have that extra protection with Avast for linux.

Does Avast for Linux has Spyware detection too?.

Regards

I feel it must be stressed that Linux is not windows, as simple as that may seem.  ;)
There's really not a lot that your Linux System will succumb to as far as Malware. Being an active member of your Distros community, and asking anything that concerns you is a great help, in fact essential. You will also find that the Security of your Browser is probably a great place to start patching any weaknesses. Then again, that is a minor issue. There are not Viruses for Linux. THere are bad practises however, thus reading, asking questions is the go  ;)

Looking for Viruses on a Linux System is very 'Microsoft'. In fact you say you looked for Viruses on a Windows Comp using a Linux Comp.

Time to forget Viruses, and learn good practises. We fall into a mindset that there are Viruses everywhere, which of course there are in a Windows environment.

Just enjoy Linux, and read up at your Distros site, ask the Senior members questions, and read.

ghost123uk

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »
Starting with the 400.vps, version 100328-1, one of it's internal block reached the inner limit 33554432 bytes. It's a kernel variable which
is (quite artificially) limiting the maximum size of any SHM memory block - and 33554432 was a default for some kernels.

Solution? Set the limit to higher values (as root):

sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=128000000
OR

Place those lines to /etc/init.d/rcS or equivalent file (it's distribution-specific a bit - see /etc/inittab, the sysinit runlevel) to have them set automatically (just after boot).

regards,
pc

Hello Zilog,

I did what you posted and it works!!.

Thanks a lot and contratulations for Avast! Free for Linux.

Regards from Fuerteventura.

Pedro

Step by step for a newbie like me:

1.- Open terminal
2.- Type: "sudo su" (then introduce your password)
3.- Type: "echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax" (this will solve the problem in the current session).
4.- Type: "gedit /etc/init.d/rcS"
5.- Include the line mentioned by Zilog inside, like follows:
  #! /bin/sh
    #
    # rcS
    #
    # Call all S??* scripts in /etc/rcS.d/ in numerical/alphabetical order
    #

exec /etc/init.d/rc S

6.- Save the file and that's all.

Thank goodness for your input Pedro  :)

When I read "zilog's" original post on how to fix this fault in the installation of Avast I said to my self "here we go again" as I barely understood any of it, esp the last bit  :( =
Place those lines to /etc/init.d/rcS or equivalent file (it's distribution-specific a bit - see /etc/inittab, the sysinit runlevel) to have them set automatically (just after boot).

That line just made no sense until I read your simple guide, then I understood what was required.

For someone new and trying hard to "learn" Linux they don't half "shoot themselves in the foot" by making it so hard to understand.

Done on purpose I suspect, to "keep it in the family"  :o No wonder Linux is only really suitable for geeks and not the "public" !

Big thanks Pedro  :)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
ghost123uk, what was causing problem was explained, by Tech:on  03 April 2010.
The size of the virus definitions database reached a system limit.
This happened with Windows 98 and was corrected by the program itself.
zilog; on 29 March 2010 explained the 'Fix'  in Technical terms
Fuerteventura kindly wrote out a step by step process.
Avast ! 4 Linux had the solution 2 years ago.
Where have you been ?
Now; every Distro is different. They all change, that's why packets are updated, also all programs must be adapted to Kernel changes as they occur. Nothing is Static.

In the two years since this problem evolved, and was solved you've had plenty of time to ask at the Forum of whatever Distro you use, or ask in this thread how to. That is the only difference between yourself, and someone who can use an ever increasingly GUI based Linux. Just ask appropriately, and you shall learn.  ;)
Please refrain from misleading and aggressive posting, you aren't helping anyone.
Quote from: zilog on 29 March 2010, 23:57:15

Starting with the 400.vps, version 100328-1, one of it's internal block reached the inner limit 33554432 bytes. It's a kernel variable which
is (quite artificially) limiting the maximum size of any SHM memory block - and 33554432 was a default for some kernels.

Solution? Set the limit to higher values (as root):

OR

kevpan815

Thanks for sharing, It was a real simple process on Ubuntu 13.04 Nightly Build: Even though the Root Account is Locked in these Later Ubuntu Builds, I just simply typed in Sudo followed by the first of your 2 Commands.  :)