Author Topic: HOW-TO: Avast4Linux doesn't work with latest VPS ("cannot initialize, invalid")?  (Read 163617 times)

silviucc

Place those lines to /etc/init.d/rcS or equivalent file (it's distribution-specific a bit - see /etc/inittab, the sysinit runlevel) to have them set automatically (just after boot).

It would probably be better if

kernel.shmmax=128000000

was added to /etc/sysctl.conf file

Messing with init scripts can get... messy.

mintlxdeuser

It would probably be better if

kernel.shmmax=128000000

Messing with init scripts can get... messy.

Thanks, I did exactly that and it now works fine. I'm running Mint LXDE 9. To edit the file I did the following.
1. ran pcmanfm2 as root using sudo command.
2. changed to the etc folder and opened the conf file with leafpad.
3. saved the change.
4. rebooted. job done.

dschinn1001

The somewhat "hilarious"-looking problem is similiar like here ( and it is solved here ! ) :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=126957.0

Kevjonesin

better if

kernel.shmmax=128000000

...for the win! :  }

Thanks to simonmcnair, Silviu C., mintlxdeuser, and anyone else who may have suggested the elegant solution above. It worked great in Linux Mint 13 XFCE.

I launched a text editor (gedit) with root permissions...
Code: [Select]
gksu gedit ...via a command line and then opened...
/etc/sysctl.conf ...with it. Added...
kernel.shmmax=128000000 ...to the bottom of the page and then saved and rebooted. Avast launched just fine after that.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:13:14 PM by Kevjonesin »

Starfox

Hi,

I have Suse 12.3 installed.

Which File I can use here for changing the shmmax on startup ?

I have in /etc/init.d only the File "rc" or I can use sysctl.conf too ?

mitsos karam

Thanks to all who helped for the solutions. I have PCLinuxOS4.10.5 and I used the solution of sysctl.conf. After the reboot avast updated the database without problems. I think that Starfox can do the same safely.

aniketshinde

Hey, i am a newbie to linux. I am using ubuntu 12.04. i installed i32 libs first (mine is 64 bit lappy) and then avast!. It worked. But after updating i got the same message as everyone  "an error occurred in avast! engine: invalid argument". Will someone please tell me step by step how should i go? if it is already mentioned in previous posts, please tell me which to refer and what modifications to make.. i tried reading them but could not get anything....  :(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:35:43 AM by aniketshinde »

aniketshinde

Starting with the 400.vps, version 100328-1, one of it's internal block reached the inner limit 33554432 bytes. It's a kernel variable which
is (quite artificially) limiting the maximum size of any SHM memory block - and 33554432 was a default for some kernels.

Solution? Set the limit to higher values (as root):

sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=128000000
OR
echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Place those lines to /etc/init.d/rcS or equivalent file (it's distribution-specific a bit - see /etc/inittab, the sysinit runlevel) to have them set automatically (just after boot).

regards,
pc

Please help!

aniketshinde

Problem Solved! Thanks to all !!!

mintlxdeuser

Glad you got it working. I've just switched to Fedora 20 LXDE Spin. Managed to get avast! working again.

This time editing /usr/lib/sysctl.d/00-system.conf

I made a couple of exclusions as well in the avast GUI to prevent the program closing on scans. The two folders below caused the program to close both on my normal account and root because of permission denial. Given it is SELinux they should be safe to exclude from scans without risk of infection? I believe rightly or wrongly as long as the /home and all other accessible directories are clean those two should be okay?

/sys
/run