Author Topic: Firewall disabled  (Read 5977 times)

sam4920

Firewall disabled
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
I purchased Avast 6.0 and the firewall is disabled. When prompted to turn it on, I get "Unable to start firewall" messages.  The two other computers I installed it on are doing the same. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Firewall disabled
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

By the way, which was your old firewall before AIS? Any other security/network program that could be interfering?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:37:02 PM »
first, what AV did you have before installing avast ?
did you remove it before installing avast ?
did you run a removal tool to clear any leftover files that can conflict ?

Run and reboot:  Uninstallers – Security Software
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

also try avast repair and reboot

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »
Presumably you are using the AIS version of avast ?

Prior to installing AIS what firewall did you use and how was it uninstalled ?

Was this part of another security suite ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sam4920

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:14:54 AM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

By the way, which was your old firewall before AIS? Any other security/network program that could be interfering?

All points complete and still no luck. It simply won't engage.  If it helps, the Vista system is up and running now, but the two XP systems are still showing firewall disabled errors.  XP glitch?

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:10:12 AM »
Download the latest stable version of AIS TRIAL from the official website. Install it over the current installation (those that are currently failing). If asked, allow the changes. Wait for the the HDD led to stop blinking "like crazy" (as oppose to blink sporadically only), and then reboot.

If this is not enough, go to Add / Remove Programs -> avast -> change -> review the items installed and check those you want to add for the installation.

The first method should bring you to the latest stable version. The second should remove any incompatibility with the normal install so to manual add those components that are not being installed (for whichever reason).

After the reboot, test and report back.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:15:02 AM by ady4um »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »
XP glitch?
I really doubt it.
I'll bet on a bad uninstalled network program (proxy, filter, balance, parental control) or a security one (firewall, antivirus, etc.).
The best things in life are free.

sam4920

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »
Download the latest stable version of AIS TRIAL from the official website. Install it over the current installation (those that are currently failing). If asked, allow the changes. Wait for the the HDD led to stop blinking "like crazy" (as oppose to blink sporadically only), and then reboot.

If this is not enough, go to Add / Remove Programs -> avast -> change -> review the items installed and check those you want to add for the installation.

The first method should bring you to the latest stable version. The second should remove any incompatibility with the normal install so to manual add those components that are not being installed (for whichever reason).

After the reboot, test and report back.

That did the trick!
Thanks very much. I appreciate all of the time and input from everyone.
Have a fantastic weekend, all!