Author Topic: Bitdefender is BETTER than Avast: According to G Data  (Read 16550 times)

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
Bitdefender is BETTER than Avast: According to G Data
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
We all know that G Data uses both Bitdefender and Avast engine. But in their GUI says about engine A & B. According to them Engine A is better than Engine B.
Engine A: Detection (Very Good), Performance (Very Good)
Engine B: Detection (Good), Performance (Optimum)
See the image

So, I tried to sort out the identity of the engines (A & B)
Firstly let me say that G Data allows user to use either both engines/engine A/engine B as their Resident Scanner/On-Demand Scanner.
I downloaded a virus malware.zip (password protected) in the computer.
Extracted it after providing the password, G Data quarantines it. At that time it was using engine A as their Resident Scanner. The threat was detected as Win32.Generic.493869 .
Next time I used engine B as the resident scanner. Then the threat was detected as Win32:Rontokbr-I2 .
Lastly I used both engines as their resident scanner, the threat was detected as Win32.Generic.493869 .

So, it became clear that Engine A is G Data's primary engine & if it fails to detect anything engine B comes into play.
Now, to ensure the identity of the engines I uploaded the file in Virustotal and found that Avast detects that as Win32:Rontokbr-I2  and Bitdefender as Win32.Generic.493869 .
So, Bitdefender is their Engine A & Avast is Engine B.
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/70d98b736c32160617e8e272c2f5b2c10c72789fe40e27ec16f94ffa09394cd7-1269026931
What's then... I decided to share it with you. I was not surprised that G Data uses Bitdefender as their primary engine. It's upto them obviously. But is it good to distinguish the two engines as Very Good/Good or Very Good/Optimum ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:08:13 PM by sg09 »
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Bitdefender is BETTER than Avast: According to G Data
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »
That's just their opinion. And i'm not sure if they even use the latest v5.x engine.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »
If you run both engines, it is obviously going to stop when the first engine detects it and reports it (not necessarily the first one to scan it).

In the case of both engines being able to detect the sample then it would alert on the first engine. So the order they are run is I guess important, now I don't know how they come about their Very Good/Good categorisations. I'm sure that they don't publish how they arrive at their categorisation, but if it is based on which engine detect more then that would be swayed by which one runs first. In this instance BD is detecting by generic signature whilst avast has detected on a specific signature.

This is clearly shown on the VT results page you gave as both can detect the same sample but it can only report one detection.

As far as I'm aware GData isn't yet using the avast5 engine, so we would have to see, but the integration of the engines into GData is I believe very different to the stand alone version of avast 5.0.

These two AVs aren't so widely different in my opinion and av-comparatives for them to be rated Very Good and only Good, but they have to have some difference for the user to choose.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gery

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
one thing to consider is the settings they use in each engine. then it is the version they use and lastly the real time monitor will depend on the active time reaction to each engine. I believe Bitdefender and avast are really not much different obviously Avast has better in behavior and not so buggy compared to BD

Offline sg09

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
I believe Bitdefender and avast are really not much different obviously Avast has better in behavior and not so buggy compared to BD
yes I found Bitdefender buggy too and too much resource intensive, when compared to Avast. Also detection/false positive wise they are very similar.
But one thing I have to say that BD is more frequent to provide updates, almost once in an hour.

jrehner

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »
I hated updates when I was game playing  with 4.8 but Avast 5 Pro that I now use has that nice silent mode---but the computer guy who switched me into Avast quite some time ago, did so because it also used less computer resources than my prior program Norton---I really don't want something that slows down my performance appreciably and so would that not also be a consideration?

Offline sg09

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:05:42 PM »
That's just their opinion. And i'm not sure if they even use the latest v5.x engine.
G-Data uses Avast 4 engine.
It installs a folder _avast4_ at C:\Windows\Temp.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:02 AM »
Bitdefender is  sure heavy and buggy compared to avast which is a lot lighter...
What I say about G-Data is that it is not updated :)

By the way is G-Data free ???

Offline sg09

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:28:37 AM »
By the way is G-Data free ???
nope... $24.95 for AV and $29.95 for IS.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
Wow!

Offline sg09

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 07:37:40 PM »
It can mean either, shock at the cost of the product or amazement at the price of the product, shock in its too expensive or amazement that it is cheap.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 05:01:26 AM »
Naaan with using other Av's engine only to sell it!
Bitdefender demand scanner isn't it free?
avast 4.8 scanner doesn't that count free also ???

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 07:46:09 AM »
They cant handle the truth!...sorry always wanted to do that. Anyways they cant handle the truth that avast! it a better av.  :)
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline sg09

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 11:43:22 AM »
Naaan with using other Av's engine only to sell it!
Bitdefender demand scanner isn't it free?
avast 4.8 scanner doesn't that count free also ???
On demand Scanner of Bitdefender is free, not realtime scanner. G-Data have their own web protection which is for IE and FF dependent on Plugin. No ip protection like Avast. I use chrome, so, not good for me.