Author Topic: Error messages after update to Avast5  (Read 8183 times)

DhugalMac

Error messages after update to Avast5
« on: March 25, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »
I have updated to Avast5 and most things work fine.

But I am periodically encountering error (or warning) messages referencing dll's etc not being found in the old Avast4 directory.

The most recent message indicated that  ashOutXT.dll could not be found in the Avast4 directory.
Yes, that would be true since it is now in the Avast5 directory, but apparently the system doesn't 'know' that.

When I look into the Registry there are old Avast4 entries, but when attempting to change them in order to fix the error message problem, I encounter an  Access Denied  message.

How can I fix these problems?

Thanks,
DhugalMac

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Error messages after update to Avast5
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »
ur os?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
I guess that you are using MS Outlook ?

If so check your MS Outlook version and see if there are references to two avast plug-ins installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DhugalMac

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 12:32:47 AM »
Reply to first question - "ur os? (meaning - Your OS?)"   XP with all SP's installed
Reply to question not asked - "Which Outlook?"    Outlook 2000

Reply to next question - How/where do I look in my Outlook 2000 to
    "see if there are references to two avast plug-ins installed."
I have looked through my Outlook's various Tools | Options and either I missed it or just did not find it.

Thanks for your replies.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 01:13:29 AM »
OK, I assume that you have installed avast 5.0 over avast 4.8 (what is recommended on the avast web site) ?

However, some people have experienced some problems doing this and of those it seems that XP is more likely to have some remnants.

Though I'm not sure this is the case here as I believe there may be a registry entry relating to Outlook 2000 which is trying to load the old avast4 outlook plug-in. I base this assumption in the error you describe "The most recent message indicated that  ashOutXT.dll could not be found in the Avast4 directory."

So you could try a registry search for and occurrence of ashOutXT.dll in the registry and report the key that it is in (if found) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DhugalMac

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 03:59:39 AM »
DavidR - you are correct this was an upgrade from the previous version and I installed 'over' the previous one.

I will have to wait until Monday when I am next in the office to get the specific Registry key(s), but remember that I said...
  When I look into the Registry there are old Avast4 entries, but when attempting to change
  them in order to fix the error message problem, I encounter an  Access Denied  message.

So even with the Registry key(s) identified (I think that it was under a key named: 'ALWIL Software') I still am prevented from changing anything in them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 04:53:46 AM »
The avast self-defence module will get in the way when trying to remove avast registry entries (as well as other elements), the strange thing being avast4 entries I wouldn't have thought would have come under the same areas as avast5, but I guess that is a possibility.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • Run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode for 4.8, once complete reboot into normal mode.

If when you run the uninstall utility it asks for the previous installed location it is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 (for XP).

DhugalMac

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
DavidR - thanks again for the reply and the information.

I tried what you suggested, but it did not work.
I had problems getting into Safe mode and running the Uninstall program
Finally in Normal boot mode I went into Avast | Settings |Troubleshooting and removed the 'Self Defense' check.
That enabled me to run the Uninstall program for Avast 4

But running it did not resolve the problem encountered on entering Outlook.

Fortunately I DID eventually find what was successful.

I mentioned before that I had been unable to find the Add-in Manager in my Outlook 2000 to eliminate references to Avast4.   After some Googling for an answer on where to look, I did finally find the location and un-checked Avast4.   The problem and its associated error message are now gone.

NOTE - In the Outlook Add-in Manager I did not find any reference to Avast5 and I was not able to add it (if I was supposed to do so) since I had no idea which file in the Avast5 directories to point it to.

Thanks,
DhugalMac

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:

Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-inns > Manage Disabled items.
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items.
Outlook 2002 > Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled items.
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
Fortunately I DID eventually find what was successful.

good work! it's the most important thing, that u r secured! :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DhugalMac

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:07:15 PM »
Asyn - What was successful was the elimination of the error message when opening Outlook.
Fortunately Outlook is not my default email client and it is only occassionally opened.

Tech - "Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook"
The only Avast Add-in within my Outlook 2000 that was (and still IS) showing in the Add-in Manager was Avast4 <-- The wrong one.
Avast5 was not showing at all.

And, as I already mentioned, I have no idea which file from which directory to ADD if I should want to manually add it in.   Especially since there appear to be no .ECF files in the   C:\Program Files\Alwil Software   folder at all.

So other than trusting the Avast 5 GUI Mail Shield telling me that it is checked and should be doing its job, how can I tell if things are secure or not?

Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »
Asyn - What was successful was the elimination of the error message when opening Outlook.
Fortunately Outlook is not my default email client and it is only occassionally opened.

oops.. sorry...!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 10:41:38 PM »
<snip>
Tech - "Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook"
The only Avast Add-in within my Outlook 2000 that was (and still IS) showing in the Add-in Manager was Avast4 <-- The wrong one.
Avast5 was not showing at all.
<snip>

I would suggest that you delete/delete the old avast 4 plugin from within Outlook Add-in Manager. This should hopefully stop the error message you mentioned "The most recent message indicated that  ashOutXT.dll could not be found in the Avast4 directory."

DhugalMac

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 03:59:58 PM »
DavidR - "I would suggest that you delete/delete the old avast 4 plugin from within Outlook Add-in Manager. This should hopefully stop the error message you mentioned "The most recent message indicated that  ashOutXT.dll could not be found in the Avast4 directory."

Within the Outlook 2000 Add-In Manager the only buttons available are  Install...   and  OK    There is no option to Delete.   So I would have no idea how/where to Delete a previously installed Add-In.    Plus there is no remaining instance of the word   "Avast4"   in my Registry so I cannot accomplish it there.

And, as indicated above, I have already successfully stopped the error message from displaying.

Now my question is that since there does not appear to be a way to 'Install..."  the Avast5  add-in, can I merely trust the Avast User Interface when it indicates that my email is covered despite there being no reference to Avast5 within Outlook that I can find.

Thanks,
DhugalMac

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
When you install avast5 if it detects MS Outlook it should insert the plug-in entry, but I don't know how this is done as I don't use Outlook.

Why it didn't, I can only assume it detected the old plug-in and didn't add the avast5 plug-in.

If as you said you have now been able to run the avast 4.8 uninstall utility (albeit from normal mode), I would have hoped it would have removed that (but I don't know for sure as I don't use Outlook). So I don't know what else to suggest.