Author Topic: Big big problems with Avast 5  (Read 2801 times)

sigalahe1

Big big problems with Avast 5
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:44:43 PM »
I downloaded Avast 5 today. Problems already started when it finished the setup. Right after that my windows crashed and gave me the infamous blue screen. I thought, alright, such stuff happens with Windows from time to time. When it booted back up, Avast icon was on my desktop. I opened it, and it showed my system is unsecured. I tried to fix it, but when I clicked the button, it said:

The following components could not be started: Mail Shield, IM Shield, P2P shield, File System Shield, Web Shield, Behavior Shield, Network Shield.

Well, then I searched around the program for the cause and found out that I had to register. Ok, so now this happened.

I clicked the Register Now button, nothing happens. I click again, it says Retrieving information, please wait. And then the screen comes up with the choice do I want to pay or not. I choose the free version, it says Retrieving information again and then just nothing happens. No registering screen, no error message or anything. Tried the same thing for like 20 times, but ended up with the same result every time.

So, under that is the offline registration. Since the first option didn't work, I tried that. I filled out the form, got the e-mail with the code, put the code in the required place and it says: The system could not find the file specified. I tried to submit it like 10 times, but it didn't work. Certainly no copying error there.

After that, I decided to register with a different e-mail. Maybe that code was just wrong, stuff like that may happen sometimes. So, I get the second code, and it doesn't work either.

So, since I had an useless antivirus that didn't work, I tried to uninstall it. Well, that sould be easy, right? But yeah, the program was not in the programs and features list. 98 programs, but Avast nowhere to be found.

Please help me, either to get the antivirus working or just get it off my computer so I could install a new antivirus.  :-[

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Big big problems with Avast 5
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

sigalahe1

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
Well, I got that program on my desktop and booted up in safe mode. But when I ran it, it asked me the direct location or the direct path to the folder. What do I have to put there? I think it must be something from the pictures below, but I am not sure. Can you help me?

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:28:55 PM »
The path where avast is installed.
Should be "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\" I guess.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear