Author Topic: Avast 5.0 Internet Security - Problems with Firewall  (Read 18616 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 5.0 Internet Security - Problems with Firewall
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
Any other previous firewall?

if you are using avast internet security suite you have to state whether you are running another firewall, including windows firewall.

I run the AIS suite with OA prem on and have no hassles so there's not automatic a conflict every time
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:24:21 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Frank-01

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 03:34:49 AM »
See my earlier post(s). Are you saying Windows Firewall has a problem with Avast Firewall? My machine #1 is doing fine with both turned on. I think it has something to do with Avast missing a Service:

"In Local Area Connection Properties there is a Service or Protocol missing named "Avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Driver." It is on machine #1 but not on machine #2. It is shown under services but greyed out and in order to install one needs the driver disk. I think this might be the problem."

Not sure though.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 04:53:35 AM »
No I'm speaking to everyone - that if you have a firewall problem, then it is good idea to say what firewalls will be running when the problem is evident, and Windows firewall is one sometimes people forget about.

If you only have one firewall running and you still have a problem, then fine - can troubleshoot.

but if you have more than one, then best say so, and save us having to ask.

As I said before I have OA premium firewall and AIS suite firewall running at the same time on one computer and I haven't had any worries. Not my ideal, which is avast Pro with OA firewall. Also I have had third party firewall, and forgotten about Windows firewall being on, and no noticeable conflict between the two.

But is very common for system to exhibit erratic behavior when two firewalls are running at the same time.

ndis filter driver doesn't seem associated with avast products - I think bitdefender and jwire

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Vinip

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »
Oh boy I found my thread  I just bought this darn Internet security am on Win xp  NO firewalls running at all!   MY windows hung up on reboot had to go to last known config.  My settings tell me I have no Avast firewall.  So i click  Fix now  to no avail. 

Waits with baited breath  before I add to my desktop computer. This is my laptop. I am ready to get my money back at this point.

I too am on a wireless network and I can see my other network. 

I uninstalled  Avira  through add.remove programs.  Hope i gave enough info. I am a  greeny  by the way :)  be gentle with me.

Thank you!
Vinnie

reuth

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
Malwarebytes Antimalware found three infected registry keys.
I let the software remove them an re-installed avast another time.
I still get the same problem.

I also run the AVCleaner from GData in order to remove remaining objects from the previous AV program. It removed 19 objects, but after another new install of avast I still cannot start the firewall.

Windows Firewall is off, as far as I  know there s no other firewall on this computer running.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:24:30 AM by reuth »

reuth

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »
Finally I used system restore.

I went back to the system restore point before I installed the first time avast free version .

De-installed the previous AV program, cleaned up, installed the Avast 5 IS and it works fine   :).

vas

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 04:22:26 AM »
Ok, I managed to fix the problem I had with not being able to turn on the firewall (see original post).
So here's what I did to solve it, it might be worth trying if you are still struggling with the firewall problem.
- Installed MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and scanned laptop - there were some infected registry entries.
- I asked it to fix all the problems and rebooted
- Connected via Ethernet to the router
- Navigated to C:\WINDOWS\INF
- Clicked on Search, selected All Files and Folders and filled in the criteria as follows
    - "All or part of the file name:" OEM*INF
    - "A word or phrase in the file:" aswNdis
    - "Look in:" inf
- This returned a single file (OEM26.INF) which I did cut and paste in My documents [In my prior post I did the same and there were multiple INF files)
- Used CCCleaner Tools to repair avast installation (could have done it via Add/Remove Programs but takes too long). So I clicked uninstall and scrolled down to repair.
- Once repair was over I did not see any changes,i.e. Firewall was still turned off, but!
- Then I went to Start|Run and started services.msc
- Here there was a change because I could now see avast! Firewall as one of the services - I could not see it previously
- I clicked on avast! Firewall and restarted the service and ...
That was it, avast! shows my system is fully protected and the firewall is now turned on.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 07:46:55 AM »
And so Windows firewall is still running as well?

I think that you may have just prevented Windows firewall from overriding avast firewall
In my case, when I loaded AIS yesterday, the avast firewall came straight into play - and I havent turned Windows off yet.

Probably best for general users not to go into C:\Windows and make changes to system files without consult someone first
They can always send details and/or screenshots in to the forum

My firewall is laboring a bit when building allow / block deny gateway
- sometimes click 3 times needed to allow a passage, and then ask again next time
- but after all, is a firewall and needs some time to accustom to the users pattern - so it learning - keep it simple and give it time

And there will be some ways around all hiccups and glitches - but for now, mine is settling in okay
If you are on trial version - then you can always re-install no problem

Edit - @vas - are you sure avast firewall is working? - or is Windows firewall? - is avast asking whether to allow / deny
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:00:47 AM by mkis »

vas

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 08:43:34 PM »
@mkis : are you suggesting that I should have both the Windows Firewall & the AIS turned on?
And yes, Windows firewall was still running on my computer but I had it disabled once AIS was turned on.
I just need one firewall on my computer.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
No just wanted to make sure, because interesting solution you came up with that may help others.

I often forget to turn off Windows firewall myself. But this time I've made sure to turn it off.
Also my avast firewall came straight into play
- immediately after install, it read my Vodafone connect, and promptly started running

and now not so laboring either - after upgrading to Beta build and now the basic package rules are instated.
in fact my avast IS firewall appears to run well - I have been more used to running online armor.

Vinip

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
I have my windows firewall off  and when i started my Avast firewall it said  unable to start firewall shield unreachable!

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 09:49:54 PM »
What was yr previous antivirus? The computer does not seem to have taken to avast IS too well.

Do you think you could run a HijackThis scan

Click here – (will take direct to download)
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/download/8571e06e5eb8ab03c649f3b5d647c599/

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file to this thread. If it is too large you may have to post in two parts.

Vinip

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »
Ok  I had Avast  for years then it  started giving me false positives so i thought I would try Avira .  My laptop has been newly reformatted .  Anyway  I din't like Avira so came back to Avast. 

Sure will do the Hijack. I ran the malaware  but nothing.

Vinip

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
ok here you go

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
Fix this entry - put checkmark in box next to the entry and click Fix Checked in bottom left hand corner of the screen
- after fixed checked, you need to run Scan to bring up a new log

O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
Do you know what this is? Do you have Realplayer on yr system? - It doesn't look like it, so probably need to fix this
- but wait for second opinion

If you do have Realplayer, check out this link and reply post here
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18262287-Is-the-Realcom-browser-extension-a-security-risk

O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
You have lavasoft among yr services - is this set to start automatic and set to scan when yr system is running
If so then there could be a a conflict with avast - don't fix thru HjT but reply post here
- others will have had experience with this program
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:33:38 AM by mkis »