Author Topic: Avast 5.0 Internet Security - Problems with Firewall  (Read 18675 times)

Vinip

Re: Avast 5.0 Internet Security - Problems with Firewall
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 11:46:47 PM »
yes  real player is installed  and I never use it. I thought I had unchecked it not to run in msconfig  must of restarted when I reformatted.   Ok  I fixed the BHO no file

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 12:51:39 AM »
If you never use Reaklplayer, then uninstall it.
See if it has its own uninstaller or use Revo Uninstaller or Add/Remove programs in Windows.
Then fix checked that entry if it still there.

For Lavasoft, turn it off in Services and see how system runs without it
Start -> Run - and type in 'services.msc' (without the quotations)
Find entries for Lavasoft or for Ad-aware, I'm not sure what they will be entered under
Click on the entry and stop (or may have Stop tab in lefthand column), and then set as disabled.

Then if you still cannot see firewall. Turn on in Safe Mode and do a Repair -
- Add/Remove Programs in Windows and scroll down to Repair. Take this option and finish with Restart.

btw you also have optrion to upgrade to new Beta build 5.0.492
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58183.0
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Vinip

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 01:32:48 AM »
Ok gets to work will report in thank you!

;D

Vinip

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 01:43:44 AM »
 Ok I ininstalled real player,I stopped  my adaware also.
   and I did the option of getting the Beta 5.0.492  IS and guess what it tells me while its installing. It can't find the firewall driver and will install with out the firewall!

Does this give you a better clue as to  what is going on?  Do you still want me to go into safe mode  and repair?

thanks for your patience by the way. :)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 05:23:59 AM »
well I guess you can try the Repair option in Safe Mode, but I thought the issue would have righted itself by now.

as a last resort you could try run uninstall utility after you have run standard uninstall of IS.
- you run it after uninstall and before re-install    http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

there are a few people having problems with IS and the firewall
I am running XP and only trial mode for IS and I haven't had problems with firewall in my installs

maybe turn Windows firewall back on for now and keep close eye on system until we know what is up.
any more info is always helpful as there are others who will be taking an interest.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Vinip

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »
Ok  so it works in my Desktop with Xp and SP3  .  It works in my net book.    It just  doesn't like my laptop.  Sooooo  will try the Uninstall bit later today and will give you results.  If doesn't work i will wait as I can turn on my windows firewall and i do have  my wireless  firewall .

Thank you! 

Vinip

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 02:46:47 PM »
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

It works!  Ok  here goes  i did the uninstall  and cleane dit bit like you said and yes there was  afolder still left over from the add/remove uninstall.  So i used the utility as you told me.  Well as i am installing it said it could not find the firewall driver again!  So would install without firewall.  Ok I  restarted still none then I activated my license and Poof  guess wha tmy firewall is working.   I hope this helps others. Oh and I have the Beta  5.0492 version.

Thank you so very very much!!

Have  a super day I know you made mine. I hate things not working right .   ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »
Congratulations, Vinip!
We like people that does not give up ;)
The best things in life are free.

Vinip

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »
Mkis?  Again thank you for staying with me ! 

;D

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 12:42:53 AM »
you're welcome