Author Topic: Avast 5 AIS on Windows 7 x64 and Virtualbox bridged network  (Read 10946 times)

jpalko

Avast 5 AIS on Windows 7 x64 and Virtualbox bridged network
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Anyone gotten Virtualbox bridged network interfaces working with avast 5 AIS? Is there some update coming soon or out already that would fix this?

I ended up uninstalling Avast 5 AIS after I noticed that bridged network interfaces did not work on virtualbox nor did cisco vpn function even on a NAT interface configured virtual machine when avast 5 ais was protecting the firewall.

Both NAT and bridged vpn connections work great with the free version of avast 5 but it would be great to be able to use Avast 5 AIS fully.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 5 AIS on Windows 7 x64 and Virtualbox bridged network
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »
Yes, I got. No problems at all.
I use NAT interface on Windows 7 to load Kubuntu in a real partition of the disk.
The best things in life are free.

jpalko

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:22 PM »
I use NAT interface on Windows 7 to load Kubuntu in a real partition of the disk.

Yeah, but I want to use bridged networking and a cisco vpn from that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
Sorry, I'm a newbie on virtual management... still working the first steps...
The best things in life are free.

jpalko

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:43:39 PM »
No problem, bridged interfaces just work better in a couple of things.

Abdul69

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:35:05 AM »
Any tips on this one? I'm hitting a similar issue with VMWare, although with VirtualBox its definitely Avast getting in the way. The instant I turn off the Avast 5 firewall, my bridged network in virtual box works. Any tips on what application or packet rules to allow this to work would be great.

jpalko

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:36:10 AM »
My solution was: I stopped running virtualization on Windows 7 at all and do it now only on Linux. Although in my case it's a separate machine and I had to learn to use win2vnc and other interesting little tools to minimize the amount of keyboards and mice on the desk. :)

At least now I can use Avast AIS version fully to protect my gaming environment and I didn't pay for something I can't use.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »
Hi,

bridged network access is actually quite similar to ICS (two IP addresses hidden behind one interface). Hence you have to enable "Internet Sharing mode" in "Expert Settings" in the Firewall page.

Sorry for that, I didn't stressed this before.

If the virtual box is running, you might need to use "ipconfig /flushdns" to refresh/clean DNS cache. At least with Win2000 it is necessary.

Lukas.

PS: have tested this with Vmware, if anyone can confirm the same (enabling Internet Sharing mode in FW expert settings) work for virutal box as well, it would great.
Thanks.

konnor

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 08:41:27 AM »
Hi,

bridged network access is actually quite similar to ICS (two IP addresses hidden behind one interface). Hence you have to enable "Internet Sharing mode" in "Expert Settings" in the Firewall page.

If the virtual box is running, you might need to use "ipconfig /flushdns" to refresh/clean DNS cache. At least with Win2000 it is necessary.

Lukas.

PS: have tested this with Vmware, if anyone can confirm the same (enabling Internet Sharing mode in FW expert settings) work for virutal box as well, it would great.
Thanks.
Many thanks for your post, it saved me :-)
I had the same problem with VMware and Avast for months, and now it is working with enabling Internet Sharing.

coolsilver

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 05:09:42 PM »
Internet sharing is what is needed for VMware as well. Found that out the hard way :D

dabeniao

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:45:33 AM »
Hi,

Lukas.

Thanks.

Confirmed that this will also work with Oracle Virtualbox 4.0 bridged network.

Thanks for your post.

Joe S

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:13:54 AM »
Vmware is easier to network as far as I am concerned.
Joe