Author Topic: Update problem  (Read 18464 times)

Sartigan

Update problem
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
Hi, saw avast! 5 and I switched to it.
After install, I restarted my computer and looks like avast! 5 works ( like 4.8 )
I installed it at my brother, and when he started XFire avast! gived us a virus message (Win32:Malware-Gen[TRJ]) in a trainer
But this wasn't problem

I tried to update avast manually. It didn't works and says: "Error: No connection with the server"
I don't get any error messages, just when I try to update :S
Avast! UI loads the Internet Security's "recommendation".

I'm connecting to the internet via modem and router.
Plus!: avast can't update with firewalls disabled :S
What I need to do?

EDIT

A picture with help:

(Hungarian)
Some help:
Lekapcsolva means: disconnected
Utolsó hiba means: last error
Teljes idő means: full time
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:54:36 PM by Sartigan »

Sartigan

Re: Update problem
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
Hi, saw avast! 5 and I switched to it.
After install, I restarted my computer and looks like avast! 5 works ( like 4.8 )
I installed it at my brother, and when he started XFire avast! gived us a virus message (Win32:Malware-Gen[TRJ]) in a trainer
But this wasn't problem

I tried to update avast manually. It didn't works and says: "Error: No connection with the server"
I don't get any error messages, just when I try to update :S
Avast! UI loads the Internet Security's "recommendation".

I'm connecting to the internet via modem and router.
Plus!: avast can't update with firewalls disabled :S
What I need to do?

EDIT

A picture with help:

(Hungarian)
Some help:
Lekapcsolva means: disconnected
Utolsó hiba means: last error
Teljes idő means: full time
SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!

Sparxx

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »
It's easter ,  I think tomorrow there will be more help , but until then , have you tried  a reinstall from the scratch :

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

And if you used before Avast another security product , please check their site for a proper uninstall utility .

Sartigan

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »
Err... this can't be, after installing avast! 5 at me, I installed at my brother too, this happens at he too...

Sparxx

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:15:06 PM »
Look ,  if you had installed v. 4.8 before installing v. 5 , you need to download  the uninstall utility to fully unninstall it , because  there are cases on the forum when something was wrong because of 4.8 non full uninstallation here is the link for uninst. utility : http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Also i forgot to ask , what firewall are you using ? It may be that your firewall is blocking the access of ashUpd.exe to the servers .
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:27:17 PM by Sparxx »

bong2x

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:38:05 PM »
 ::) but in my case i installed avast 5.0 over 4.8

i did that without problems

look at the pic. that 3 item in the chest is come from 4.8

but first you disable any security software including avast 4.8 disconnect to network
 to make sure no interference in process of installation and begin the installation that makes 60% installation success, the 40% of success is defend in the download, so make sure that you don't have corrupted download.

Best regards!!!

Sartigan

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
Look ,  if you had installed v. 4.8 before installing v. 5 , you need to download  the uninstall utility to fully unninstall it , because  there are cases on the forum when something was wrong because of 4.8 non full uninstallation here is the link for uninst. utility : http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Also i forgot to ask , what firewall are you using ? It may be that your firewall is blocking the access of ashUpd.exe to the servers .

The problem is that avast! cannot update without firewalls enabled too....
Can this being caused because we have a router?

Sparxx

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
I don't think so , because i'm also using a router and it updates just fine , and all my friends are using avast and have their connection over routers , i think here is something else.
Try to remove your firewall and try to update.
And please post your PC specs and all background programs that are running when you're updating .
Also , try to ping the avast update server :
1. Start -> Run - type CMD
2. In command line type : ping a639sm.avast.com
3. Post what's happening when pinging (screenshot)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:31:29 PM by Sparxx »

Sartigan

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »
Avast! server replies:

Sparxx

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:03:58 PM »
All is fine , the server is responding just fine .
It seems that something is interfering with the update process , write what programs are running in background , what OS does you have , and PC specs ?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:13:52 PM by Sparxx »

Sartigan

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
Background processes:

The censored processes are "desing" processes, these aren't use the system files

Sparxx

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »
Did you tried , to unninstall the BitDefender Personal Firewall ? Try to do an update after it's unnistallation .
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:26:59 AM by Sparxx »

Sartigan

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Did you tried , to unninstall the BitDefender Personal Firewall ? Try to do an update after his unnistallation .
BitDefender Personal Firewall? I didn't use it, and I'm not using it

Sparxx

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »
Ups , not BitDefender , i mean BitGuard In your processes list I see the FireWall.exe and this is a process associated to BitGuard Personal Firewall , see : http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/firewall/

Is this a entire security suite , or just the firewall , because i found this :

Firewall.exe general information
Author:  DanwareSecurity
Part of:  BitGuard Internet Security Suite
Common Path(s):%programfiles%\BitGuard\Firewall\Firewall.Exe

Also found here : http://www.backgroundtask.eu/systeemtaken/taakinfo/8592/FireWall.exe/

Information about FireWall.exe

Process Name :BitGuard Personal Firewall
Application: BitGuard Internet Security Suite
Company: DanwareSecurity
Last Update: 2007-11-28 13:10:22
Further information: FireWall.exe is a process from BitGuard Personal Firewall by DanwareSecurity and part of BitGuard Internet Security Suite

I think you must choose what antivirus solution you want to use , i'd choose Avast , as it performs better , and as standalone firewall you can choose : Online Armor , Comodo Firewall ...

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:43:18 AM by Sparxx »

Sartigan

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »
Ups , not BitDefender , i mean BitGuard In your processes list I see the FireWall.exe and this is a process associated to BitGuard Personal Firewall , see : http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/firewall/

Is this a entire security suite , or just the firewall , because i found this :

Firewall.exe general information
Author:  DanwareSecurity
Part of:  BitGuard Internet Security Suite
Common Path(s):%programfiles%\BitGuard\Firewall\Firewall.Exe

Also found here : http://www.backgroundtask.eu/systeemtaken/taakinfo/8592/FireWall.exe/

Information about FireWall.exe

Process Name :BitGuard Personal Firewall
Application: BitGuard Internet Security Suite
Company: DanwareSecurity
Last Update: 2007-11-28 13:10:22
Further information: FireWall.exe is a process from BitGuard Personal Firewall by DanwareSecurity and part of BitGuard Internet Security Suite

I think you must choose what antivirus solution you want to use , i'd choose Avast , as it performs better , and as standalone firewall you can choose : Online Armor , Comodo Firewall ...

... I think that FireWall.exe is the Win Firewall, I didn't installed any BitGuard thing on my system :S
and I didn't know about this thing, no program files entry, no auto-startup entry....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:34:42 AM by Sartigan »