Author Topic: Thunderbird 0.7.1  (Read 18659 times)

llorton

Thunderbird 0.7.1
« on: July 06, 2004, 09:46:19 PM »
Am using Avast 4.1, all registered and legal. on Mozilla and Outlook

Want to switch to Firefox and Thunderbird (0.7.1) as my browser and email clients

The Email wizard does not mention Thunderbird (altho it does specify Mozila mail).  

Am I protected or do I have to go through manual configuration as detailed in the help?

In a long thread on this issue, that mentione only earlier versions of TH, the users made refrence to the fact that they could tell that Avast was working on their version of Tbird.

Is it working automatically?  How do I tell.

[BTW the AVAST configuration interface is anything but intuitive.]

niko

Re:Thunderbird 0.7.1
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 11:15:50 PM »
Hi and welcome to avast! forum !
You can setup manualy your mail protection by executing the avast! wizard mail protection...I'm just trying to setup avast! mail protection for Thunder Bird 0.6 but still have a 10048 avast! error...so...still looking for advice !

llorton

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 11:20:59 PM »
I did run the Wizard but have no idea how I can tell if Tbird 0.7 is being protected.  I do want to find out before I get some virus.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 11:23:24 PM »
OK llorton, first of all, Welcome to forums... read my post #20 in this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=5680;start=msg42207#msg42207

Intuitive ? What do you want, to have little pop-up clouds that will explain every function ? You have Help file and if you are not too lazy to read it, you will find lot of help in there... after all, great technical support you can always find for free in these forums... remember, you are using avast! home edition which is absolutely free...

Cheers !

And btw, you won't get any virus if your standard shield is running...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 11:25:25 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

llorton

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 12:11:44 AM »
I did read the post.
I did read the Help file
I did use the Mail Wizard.

My question was: how can I discern that Avast is scanning email?

That will tell me whether the  the mail wizard has worked successfully or if I must  continue with the manual changing of the designations in the ini  file.

BTW S.Z.Craftec -  you might reread your post

"Intuitive ? What do you want, to have little pop-up clouds that will explain every function ? You have Help file and if you are not too lazy to read it, you will find lot of help in there... after all, great technical support you can always find for free in these forums... remember, you are using avast! home edition which is absolutely free..."

and consider dialing back your arrogance setting just a smidge.  

(actually I think I am using the pro edition for which I paid the subscription - that doesn't entitle me to be a jerk but does allow me to have, and freely express, an opinion)

cjtc

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 01:05:31 AM »
OK guys, peace!

I'm using Thunderbird 0.7.1, with several e-mail accounts with success.
I guess the best way to be 100% sure that your e-mails are being intercepted and scanned on both inbound and outbound is to have Avast! attach a notice to the bottom of the mail.

1) Rt click on the Avast! "a" icon in your system tray and select  "On Access Protection Control"
2) Select the "Internet Mail" provider in the left hand list
3) Click the "Cusomize..." button on the right, next to the sensitivity slider
4) On each of the "POP", "SMTP" and "IMAP" tabs, put a check mark in the box " Insert note into clean message", and make sure that the "Scan inbound/outbound mail" (as appropriate) box is checked in each too
5) Click OK and close the 2 open dialogs
6) send yourself a mail using Thunderbird.

When you get your mail back, it should have 2 notices at the bottom, one saying "Outbound message clean" and the other saying "Inbound message clean".

Personally, I leave mine like this all the time, just as reassurance that all is well, e-mail-scanning wise.

Hope this helps.
CJTC

niko

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 01:18:01 AM »
Hi Iiorton it's Niko again, please be cool with everybody here on avast! forum...
I'm just a novice and I'll try to help you if you want, but forgive my english sentences cause I'm French...
To protect properly your mail, you have to customize "avast! mail protection" by clicking on "scan all inbound messages" and "scan all outgoing messages" (POP & SMTP parameters).
Hope this can help you...

ps: an never forget: be cool ;)

llorton

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 01:25:26 AM »
Thanks for testing aadvice.

Did turn those parameters on, actually rebooted but got no message on the e-mail.

Will try doing manual alteration of Avant ini file in AM.

If all else fails, may have to go back to Outlook

Thanks again.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 01:30:28 AM »
I did read the post.
I did read the Help file
I did use the Mail Wizard.

My question was: how can I discern that Avast is scanning email?

That will tell me whether the  the mail wizard has worked successfully or if I must  continue with the manual changing of the designations in the ini  file.

BTW S.Z.Craftec -  you might reread your post

"Intuitive ? What do you want, to have little pop-up clouds that will explain every function ? You have Help file and if you are not too lazy to read it, you will find lot of help in there... after all, great technical support you can always find for free in these forums... remember, you are using avast! home edition which is absolutely free..."

and consider dialing back your arrogance setting just a smidge.  

(actually I think I am using the pro edition for which I paid the subscription - that doesn't entitle me to be a jerk but does allow me to have, and freely express, an opinion)

Yeah, I'm not arrogant, I'm just a little (much) more longer in here than you. You are the one who is arrogant. You just came in here and first post is something that you have to complain about.... you should check avast forums for threads containing issue you are interested in, first. There is great searching engine... there is about million posts covering this area that you need help with... but, of course, it's much easier to complain... Look around and you may find what you are looking for...  ;)

If you wanna flame, I'll give you a flame... but remember, these forums are here to help each other and to make friendships, not to make fights... if you can't deal with that, well I don't know...

And btw, if you reread my thread I gave you link for carefully, you would find a part regarding SHOW DETAILED INFO ON PERFORMED ACTION... so you would know how to check, is your mail provider checking your outbound and inbound mail...  ;) I just tried to help you...

And bottom line, there is no AVANT ini file in here... this is avast! - antivirus. Avant is internet browser...
Will try doing manual alteration of Avant ini file in AM.

Btw, you don't even have to touch ini file. All you have to do is to change server names in your mail client to 127.0.0.1 as well as login names like I mentioned in another thread I gave link for up there...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 02:16:35 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

niko

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 01:32:11 AM »
Please be sure to close TB while you setup avast! mail protection ;)

llorton

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 01:39:16 AM »
Thanks Niko,

Mixed success.

Redid Avast with Mail Wizard for Outlook.
Sent message to myself from web-based interface; no AVAST note attached to inbound
Sent message to IMAP account from POP and AVAST message attached to outbound.

cjtc

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 01:45:50 AM »
If all else fails, may have to go back to Outlook

No, don't do that! It works just fine with Thunderbird. It really does. You just have to make sure the setup is correct. The key thing is the settings in Thunderbird's server settings.

1) In T'bird, click Tools->Account Settings
2) Select the "Server Settings" item in your e-mail account
3) Ensure the server name is "127.0.0.1" on Port 110
4) Set the username as follows: mailbox-user-name#pop-server-name
For example, if your mailbox user is "myname@myisp.com" and the pop server is at "pop.myisp.com", you would enter "myname@myisp.com#pop.myisp.com"

Repeat 1-4 for any other e-mail accounts you are using in T'bird.

Finally, set up your Outgoing Server (SMTP) settings. Same dialog, at the bottom of the list:
1) set the server name as "127.0.0.1" and accept the default port number (usually 25)
2) check "Use name and password"
3) set up the user name. Again, it's of the form: "smtp-user-name#smtp-server-name".
How you do this depends on whether your ISP's SMTP server requires authentication or not (i.e. if you have to log on to their SMTP server).
If you do, then use your login name as "smtp-user-name" and the smtp server name as "smtp-server-name" above. For example, "mysmtpusername#smtp.myisp.com".
If you don't have to log into the SMTP server (which is the case with most ISPs if you're logged in with them already), then you can omit the "smtp-user-name" bit. In this example, the "user name" would be just  "#smtp.myisp.com"
4) I'd try leaving "Use secure connection" set to "no" for the time being.

That really should do it. I agree, its a bit of a pain when Norton can do all of this totally seamlessly, regardless of which e-mail client you use. Still, once it's set up in Avast!, it does seem to work well.

llorton

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 01:48:57 AM »
Thanks for explanation and tolerance.

Should I reconfigure the INI file as suggested in 'manual setting of mail protection' in AVAST! help?

Any idea why messages aren't being appended?
All options are selected equally for in and outbound.  

« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 02:15:47 AM by llorton »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 02:00:49 PM »
Thanks for explanation and tolerance.

Wellcome to avast forum!  ;)

Should I reconfigure the INI file as suggested in 'manual setting of mail protection' in AVAST! help?

I think you can follow cjtc's explanation. I won't write them better than he did  8)
To see more option of avast4.ini file click on 'Settings' link on my signature.
I don't think you have to change it in order to make Thunderbird to work.

Any idea why messages aren't being appended?
All options are selected equally for in and outbound.  

Did you add any text to the message?
Does this occur both for txt and html messages?

If you right click an email message, choose properties > details, and look in the headers, does it have these two lines:

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0428-0, 07/07/2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
The best things in life are free.

llorton

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 02:32:24 PM »
Thanks for your help.
Will have to follow up on weekend - have work deadlines through rest of week.

Lew