Author Topic: unable to connect to server  (Read 12753 times)

How67ard

unable to connect to server
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »
I have 2 pcs running avast free virus checker - both used to update automatically but now say Error Cannot connect to server. My firewall which has always allowed avast to connect shows that avast has full access rights. Is your update server down or is it time to use a different virus checker? This has only occurred since the update and the avast symbol changed from blue to orange.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Re: unable to connect to server
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »
It is always better to install Avast 5 as a fresh install not over Avast 4

People doing an install over 4 has always complained of a problem  :P

How67ard

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:35:38 PM »
thanks for that but one of the pcs has just been setup having had a hard disk failure and it never had avast 4 on it

jrehner

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
Always is an absolute--if u check my post u will see I had no problem with my install of Avast 5 Pro over 4.8 Pro---the avast 5 pro trial install deleted 4.8 just like it was supposed to do---Now what was strange was when I first reinstalled 4.8 pro and setup only gave the option of uninstalling 4.8 pro and then upon doing so, having to again download 4.8 Pro trial with successful install once the old 4.8 was deleted.... When I later downloaded Avast 5 Pro I thought the same would occur but nope---it worked just fine without first deleting 4.8

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »
Always as an absolute is my opinion. And this emotion  :P  makes the point on its' absolute meaning. This emotions just moderates the word Always.

How67ard

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
as an option is it possible to uninstall 5 and install 4?

jrehner

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:32 PM »
OP--the last time I had a message like that--it had nothing to do with the app but with my modem--I wasn't getting an internet connection and so, of course, couldn't connect with the server but that sounds too obvious

jrehner

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 03:54:31 PM »
I would think u could still use the free 4. version but I know u can't reinstall paid 4.8 pro version--one has to use Avast 5 Pro now--Can't hurt to use the uninstaller or simply download the free version and see if it uninstalls automatically--after all it isn't working at all currently

How67ard

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »
jrehner - I cannot fault the modem - it is the only one I have and is communicating with everything else perfectly - I am using my setup at this time not from anywhere else.

jrehner

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
If the free Avast 4.-- version is not available u could still download the 4.8 Pro or 5 Trial versions and see if either of them works--can't hurt the to try.

I was reading your info above again and I got the impression that the free version automatically updated from the 4.8 version to 5 based on your characterization of the icons in the tray? But on the paid version I did not have the red icon until I downloaded Avast Pro 5--if u actually downloaded the free version of Avast 5 then maybe it's just your settings or firewall issues (but u said  they were ok)... Does your subscription info under About Avast still indicate it's active etc
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:59:13 PM by jrehner »

How67ard

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:42 AM »
well I still cannot get updates and assume this to be a fault with avast 5. I have tried to download version 4.8 but it always turns into 5 although it appears to be 4.8 to start with. Unless someone points me to how to fix this I am afraid I will be uninstalling avast and looking elsewhere.

How67ard

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »
well thanks to the good folk at pcadvisor.co.uk I have been able to download and install avast 4.8. This keeps wanting to update to avast 5. When running the checker it found a couple of infections which it seems to have dealt with. So far I am certainly unimpressed with avast 5 which is a great pity as I found avast 4 to be very good.

How67ard

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
I would now like to close this post but cannot find a way to do so.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »
Only Moderators could close a thread. I hope all your problems are solved.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »
I would now like to close this post but cannot find a way to do so.

u can only edit the topic to somewhat like [SOLVED]........
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0