Author Topic: stop on-access protection and exit  (Read 3252 times)

RMCret

stop on-access protection and exit
« on: July 07, 2004, 12:53:52 AM »
Just installed avast4 and when I right click and click on subj text in the dropdown list, it shows me the action has been taken but the program continues to run. If I close it down in Windows 98 using CTL-ALT-DEL then END TASK, it shows it closed but it still is running and fully functioning in the tray. This creates problems when performing certain maintenance tasks. Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:stop on-access protection and exit
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 01:32:00 AM »
The wording could perhaps not say exit.

The On-access scanners however, are  stopped and can be restarted easily, once stopped/paused they don't scan files so shouldn't get in the way of maintenance tasks (you don't say which)

If you do need to stop it completely, then download RejZors  External Control program, in that there is an option to Stop/Close avast.  Not all of the options will work with Win98 (they would probably be grayed out though).

Check out this thread, More useful Links

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 10:28:34 AM »
This creates problems when performing certain maintenance tasks.

What maintenance tasks in particular?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 10:15:48 PM »
Just installed avast4 and when I right click and click on subj text in the dropdown list, it shows me the action has been taken but the program continues to run. If I close it down in Windows 98 using CTL-ALT-DEL then END TASK, it shows it closed but it still is running and fully functioning in the tray. This creates problems when performing certain maintenance tasks. Any ideas?

Do you want to run scandisk or defrag the HDD?
Please, download the Control application (link on my signature), run it, after the first 'next', choose the second task 'Disable avast! Antivirus protection'.

After you finish your maintenance task, boot  ;)

Edit: Sorry, now I see David said the same before  :-[
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 10:16:38 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.