Author Topic: email headings  (Read 4626 times)

Toekick

email headings
« on: March 25, 2010, 03:39:02 AM »
I will appreciate any help here.  I looked in the help to do with emails but I don't really know what are they talking about.  This is my problem:

When I receive emails they are preceded by a long list of googooleegook stuff before it gets to the email's date, sender, etc.  It is all very interesting but I really don't need it.  Is there a way to turn this junk off so it wont show.  Here is copy and paste of this junk example:

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
        h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references
         :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;
        bh=KLLdf62ajoIx9Y5APSBShvm+eSqKaVs+UAf1N/EwLGQ=;
        b=LsBr4E7iwtOu5YQPDTux9irZINQDAuINvZjwaaR79sxU9kJimxyc32/FmGa5SF9cL2
         PdY/SB4y0eP78GtKirjsJAVNFvd5e09sZTSjanNhZhmRUChHeqoYffGtAHbwmMx3/Rov
         5KjWXjNwt1Ik5ER/elDAZ4VqEyNTc+Y7tYbPw=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws;
        d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
        h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
         :content-type;
        b=RhxE09q816aEGDKIWKmqrJtt3JUtKKsDQ2Nmq08LQ7888rsddEFGIjmCEpy9KBsY0c
         Uyr8An3VqJNbtecwMjhdG/GsaL527WD6rMHlMxSpbDyQQW2Jv3cN9HSIHOUEoxO/d4qd
         TX1tQDSKT1/aaoyygd2A5dKHqFtRZuTPLcGeg=

sded

Re: email headings
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:13:19 AM »
What email client are you using?  In Thunderbird, for example, under "view" you can ask to view all headers or just the normal headers.

Toekick

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
What email client are you using?  In Thunderbird, for example, under "view" you can ask to view all headers or just the normal headers.

Thanks for the reply.
I use Eudora 5.1  Suffice to say that I didn't have this problem before.  It seems to have started after I updated Avast antivirus.

Toekick

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »
Too bad that no Avast experts have an answer to my problem. 
That's life! :-[

sded

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 12:13:24 AM »
Actually, I think all the Eudora experts here have died out.   The header display is normally up to the client; don't know why things changed though. 

Toekick

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 05:17:33 AM »
Actually, I think all the Eudora experts here have died out.   The header display is normally up to the client; don't know why things changed though. 
Hola Ed, gracias por responder!  I love Eudora, even it is old.  Re the headers, they are a pain and don't know how to have them not show.  Not sure what you mean by the client, Who is the client?

sded

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 05:25:15 AM »
Eudora is the client; it is the program you use, to differentiate it from the mail server software at your ISP.  Your email program is normally in charge of what is displayed; avast! just scans for malware and passes OK mail along.  But I have not used Eudora in so long I don't remember anything about it.  Maybe another user will chime in.  But check your Eudora settings and see if there is a "view" type parameter that makes any difference to what you see.  Thunderbird does have one to get rid of just what you are experiencing, for example.

Toekick

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 11:55:19 PM »
Thanks again Ed.  Ok I understand that Eudora is the Client.  I have looked at all the options in Eudora and have not found anything that may solve the problem.  It could be that I don't know enough of what all the options do.   Maybe an old expert in Eudora may read this.

In any event I downloaded Thunderbird to try it out and the interesting thing about it is that it has an option to import all of my Eudora folders, etc.  However the big problem I found is that I cannot have it to display all 3 mailboxes in one screen as Eudora does.  I.e. Inbox, Outbox, Trashbox.  You have to select one or the other.  Is there another good email software that you can recommend? ???

sded

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 12:16:47 AM »
There are polls like http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21953044-POLL-EMail-Clients-2009-Member-Choice-Poll that seem to fairly consistently pick the most popular.  I have used and liked Outlook Express/Windows Mail, but find TB more comfortable, and also more actively developed both for security and for new features.  There are a lot of Microsoft Outlook fans still, who are even willing to pay for it, but I just haven't used it.

norel

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:22:57 AM »
Is the junk showing up in the message header or in the message itself? In avast! go to REAL-TIME SHIELDS>Mail Shield>Expert Settings>Behavior>General. There are four options for inserting messages into emails. If the junk is in the header itself it might be caused by the last two which inserts an alert into the Subject line of the header. You might try playing with these settings and see if it makes a difference; there could be some unknown incompatibility between avast! and Eudora.